Step 1 Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pr1d3D0c

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am set to take my USMLE Step 1 in just over a week and am uncertain if I should push back.

I am looking to go into ENT and therefore know that a 240+ is ideal. At my school, practice blocks and my CBSE have placed me in the cohort of students at my school that have averaged a 248 overall. My UWorld average has been a 72% with averages of 80% on random blocks this week.

However, my NBMEs have told a different story. I have scored 219 (two weeks ago), 221 (last week) and 228 (this week). My weaknesses are not consistent (sometimes a strength will be a weakness the next week and vice versa).

What do you all think? I feel like outside of NBMEs I am right where I need to be, but these nbme exams have me very spooked and I am just over a week out. I have never scored below my class average on exams, and my school averages a 240 on Step One.

Members don't see this ad.

That's a bit odd. My UWorld first pass as 72% and I did them timed. I took NBME 18 two weeks ago and got a 246. I think you should be scoring in the 240s on your NBMEs. Maybe you're just tired? You've probably been grinding for a while.

That's a bit odd. My UWorld first pass as 72% and I did them timed. I took NBME 18 two weeks ago and got a 246. I think you should be scoring in the 240s on your NBMEs. Maybe you're just tired? You've probably been grinding for a while.
I agree I should be in the 240’s. Every projection from my school and UWorld suggests that. But nbme forms 20 and 22 were way off for me. I hear they are harder but are they that much harder?
I pushed my exam back over a week out of fear of not hitting my score, but I honestly wonder if that mattered

Members don't see this ad :)
Try the UWSA’s if you haven’t. They were more accurate in my opinion while the NBME’s undervalued my actual score by 20+ points

Reactions: 1 user
Try the UWSA’s if you haven’t. They were more accurate in my opinion while the NBME’s undervalued my actual score by 20+ points
I’m doing that tomorrow. I have heard the NBMEs often underscore ‍♂️Wish me luck!!

Well damn, just wanted to update you and let you know that I got 228 on form 20. That's a significant drop.....Guess we're in the same boat.

Well damn, just wanted to update you and let you know that I got 228 on form 20. That's a significant drop.....Guess we're in the same boat.
I also got a 77% on two random blocks today (timed, first pass). Something is screwy for sure