Drp695

2+ Year Member
May 30, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
So I am set to take my USMLE Step 1 in just over a week and am uncertain if I should push back.

I am looking to go into ENT and therefore know that a 240+ is ideal. At my school, practice blocks and my CBSE have placed me in the cohort of students at my school that have averaged a 248 overall. My UWorld average has been a 72% with averages of 80% on random blocks this week.

However, my NBMEs have told a different story. I have scored 219 (two weeks ago), 221 (last week) and 228 (this week). My weaknesses are not consistent (sometimes a strength will be a weakness the next week and vice versa).

What do you all think? I feel like outside of NBMEs I am right where I need to be, but these nbme exams have me very spooked and I am just over a week out. I have never scored below my class average on exams, and my school averages a 240 on Step One.

NucleusO

5+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2014
Status
That's a bit odd. My UWorld first pass as 72% and I did them timed. I took NBME 18 two weeks ago and got a 246. I think you should be scoring in the 240s on your NBMEs. Maybe you're just tired? You've probably been grinding for a while.

Drp695

2+ Year Member
May 30, 2016
Status
That's a bit odd. My UWorld first pass as 72% and I did them timed. I took NBME 18 two weeks ago and got a 246. I think you should be scoring in the 240s on your NBMEs. Maybe you're just tired? You've probably been grinding for a while.
I agree I should be in the 240’s. Every projection from my school and UWorld suggests that. But nbme forms 20 and 22 were way off for me. I hear they are harder but are they that much harder?
I pushed my exam back over a week out of fear of not hitting my score, but I honestly wonder if that mattered

About the Ads
Mar 3, 2019
Try the UWSA’s if you haven’t. They were more accurate in my opinion while the NBME’s undervalued my actual score by 20+ points

Reactions: Drp695

Drp695

2+ Year Member
May 30, 2016
Status
Try the UWSA’s if you haven’t. They were more accurate in my opinion while the NBME’s undervalued my actual score by 20+ points
I’m doing that tomorrow. I have heard the NBMEs often underscore ‍♂Wish me luck!!

NucleusO

5+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2014
Status
Well damn, just wanted to update you and let you know that I got 228 on form 20. That's a significant drop.....Guess we're in the same boat.

Drp695

2+ Year Member
May 30, 2016
Status
Well damn, just wanted to update you and let you know that I got 228 on form 20. That's a significant drop.....Guess we're in the same boat.
I also got a 77% on two random blocks today (timed, first pass). Something is screwy for sure

About the Ads