Step I Step 1 Delay Decision-Pre-Dedicated Time

Started by fxf32
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fxf32

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,

Have a tough decision to make this week and I really need some help. Our school offers a program to below-average students where you can delay Step 1 until August, giving you majority of May-most of August to study for it. The catch is: you have to push your first rotation to the end of third year, giving you less elective/free time M4 year, as well as a less than ideal situation for Step 2.

This is a decision that must be made prior to classes ending. If not, then you would be required to take a LOA (which has further ramifications) if you decide to delay while the dedicated prep time begins.

I was sent an email from the Dean suggesting I take a look at the Step Delay Program due to my below average scores. Naturally, I panicked and took NBME 15 the day of and scored a 175. This is with two blocks of class left Endocrine/Reproductive and MSK.

My question is, how much can one truly improve in 5 weeks of dedicated study. Is a 175 a red flag I should delay? Or is it reasonable to expect once I can focus all my time on FA/UWORLD/Pathoma I could raise that score to around a 220 (not aiming for anything too competitive).

This decision has been eating away at me for days, and its so hard to focus on school when you have a timelime of this kind of decision hanging over your head. I see the pros and cons for both sides and I really want to just make a decision ASAP that I can stick to and be confident with.

Thanks!
 
I think you should delay your step. Going from 175 to 200 is probably possible in 5 weeks (considering how strong your basic science is), but from 175 to 220 is pushing it. It's safer to use the extra time to get a competitive score for step 1 than to worry about not having enough time for Ck/Cs.
 
I agree but with a caveat. If your dean means "below average" to be below 50% of the class in preclinical grades, that doesnt mean a thing at many schools becaue preclinical exams are nothing like step 1 (theyre all trash memorization exercises). The 175 on a practice NBME CBSSA is the red flag, not an email suggestion from the dean.
 
I think you should delay your step. Going from 175 to 200 is probably possible in 5 weeks (considering how strong your basic science is), but from 175 to 220 is pushing it. It's safer to use the extra time to get a competitive score for step 1 than to worry about not having enough time for Ck/Cs.
I agree but with a caveat. If your dean means "below average" to be below 50% of the class in preclinical grades, that doesnt mean a thing at many schools becaue preclinical exams are nothing like step 1 (theyre all trash memorization exercises). The 175 on a practice NBME CBSSA is the red flag, not an email suggestion from the dean.

I disagree. Sounds like OP has 3 organ system blocks to cover, at which point he/she will enter a 5 week dedicated period (not 5 weeks total to cover 3 new organ systems and also prep for step 1)

175 without having learned endocrine, repro, and rheum/derm isn't a red flag imo. Those 3 systems could easily be the difference between 175 and 190-200 for OP.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I disagree. Sounds like OP has 3 organ system blocks to cover, at which point he/she will enter a 5 week dedicated period (not 5 weeks total to cover 3 new organ systems and also prep for step 1)

175 without having learned endocrine, repro, and rheum/derm isn't a red flag imo. Those 3 systems could easily be the difference between 175 and 190-200 for OP.
Oh well yeah if you havent learned any of those i would imagine youd do really bad
 
I disagree. Sounds like OP has 3 organ system blocks to cover, at which point he/she will enter a 5 week dedicated period (not 5 weeks total to cover 3 new organ systems and also prep for step 1)

175 without having learned endocrine, repro, and rheum/derm isn't a red flag imo. Those 3 systems could easily be the difference between 175 and 190-200 for OP.

Yes this exactly the situation I am at right now. I think I may take another NBME at the very end of class exams, just to see what I score before my final decision (School granted me an extension) If I want a 215+ on Step 1, what would be a realistic NBME baseline goal? Around a 190? Then I would have 5 weeks of dedicated full time preparation.
 
A 175 isn't awful if taken with 0 prep. My school offered a mock STEP in November when we still had GI and MSK/derm left. Most people got around a 165-170.

If you can get a passing score with zero prep at the end of your preclinical then you're above the average for my school which has a STEP average at the national average.
 
A 175 isn't awful if taken with 0 prep. My school offered a mock STEP in November when we still had GI and MSK/derm left. Most people got around a 165-170.

If you can get a passing score with zero prep at the end of your preclinical then you're above the average for my school which has a STEP average at the national average.
Really? Thanks for letting me know, thats pretty comforting. I think our school may be being overly cautious with its students by offering this, its a numbers game for them, and they really just want a good match rate at the end of the day.
 
Really? Thanks for letting me know, thats pretty comforting. I think our school may be being overly cautious with its students by offering this, its a numbers game for them, and they really just want a good match rate at the end of the day.

Yea I wouldn't stress, if you're close to passing STEP with absolutely zero prep you shouldn't have trouble getting up above the national average with 5 weeks of SUPER intense studying.
 
Yes this exactly the situation I am at right now. I think I may take another NBME at the very end of class exams, just to see what I score before my final decision (School granted me an extension) If I want a 215+ on Step 1, what would be a realistic NBME baseline goal? Around a 190? Then I would have 5 weeks of dedicated full time preparation.

Anecdotally I know people who scored ~215 on an NBME taken the first day of dedicated time and scored a 250+ on the real thing after 6 weeks of studying. Granted they were not "below average" students... whatever that means.
 
Anecdotally I know people who scored ~215 on an NBME taken the first day of dedicated time and scored a 250+ on the real thing after 6 weeks of studying. Granted they were not "below average" students... whatever that means.
Must have been a rough 6 weeks for them, but good result nonetheless.
 
Must have been a rough 6 weeks for them, but good result nonetheless.

STEP studying is basically one giant suck fest. But it's like ripping a band aid, better to grind out 16hr days and just get it over with.

Anecdotally, my first test was a 190ish and 4 weeks of studying put me well over the national average. You'll be fine, just don't screw around during your prep.