USMLE Step 1 Help for married father of a 2 year old with twins on the way

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

breakdancerj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The resources I have considered so far are: DIT, KAPLAN, USMLE WORLD, FIRST AID, PATHOMA, BRS PHYSIOLOGY, FIRECRACKER, USMLE RX/ FLASHCARDS / LECTURESPICMONICPRACTICE TESTS The resources I own or plan to own: FIRST AID, PATHOMA, BRS PHYSIOLOGY, USMLE WORLD The resources I need some input about: Firecracker (I am not sure if I have enough time), USMLE RX/FLASHCARDS/LECTURES (ultimate/first aid express - not sure how worth it these are), PRACTICE TESTS - where do you obtain these and how many can you take in a real test center or how do you go about it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've spent a lot of time reviewing the experiences of others posted on SDN recently. While a few sources seem fairly unanimously endorsed, it is clear that everyone has a different learning style based upon differing opinions on programs like firecracker. I am somewhat unique as I am married, have a two year old son, and my wife and I will be expecting twins in January. It probably goes without saying that I am trying to plan my step 1 preparation with maximizing and efficiently using my time as much as possible. I plan on taking USMLE Step 1 mid to late June. So far, I really haven't done anything but read through the introductory information in First Aid and read about the experiences of others. Here are a few things that I am taking into consideration as I plan studying and try to utilize my time: 1) My goal is a 240+. 2) Medical school has made me realize that I struggle more with my long term memory. Although I have done okay in medical school, I could probably hardly remember a fraction of what I learned last year. 3) I am for the most part a self learner. I do not typically find lecture to be helpful beyond recognizing things to focus on. 4) I scored a 31 on the MCAT. In retrospect, I feel like part of my problem in preparing for the MCAT was using too many or ineffective resources.5) While I am willing to pay for whatever study aids will be most effective, money is something I have to be very careful about with my family. 6) My school has a fairly strong reputation of preparing students for Step 1 with an above average pass rate and above average score. 7) I will take the test in June and am not sure how that will affect how effective Firecracker would be. 8) I feel like focusing on my coursework in Organ Systems is as important as anything else and am unsure how the resources I am considering could strengthen or interfere with my course work. Sometimes as I read the comments of others, I am amazed at how much they know concerning Step 1. I don't even so much as have a relative who has attended medical school, and at times, I feel like I have been in the dark compared to some of my peers when it comes to preparing for exams like this.

Sorry to break up my posts but for some reason, no matter how I formatted the text, it would all just run together. I have never had that problem with SDN before.

The resources I have considered so far are: DIT, KAPLAN, USMLE WORLD, FIRST AID, PATHOMA, BRS PHYSIOLOGY, FIRECRACKER, USMLE RX/ FLASHCARDS / LECTURESPICMONICPRACTICE TESTS The resources I own or plan to own: FIRST AID, PATHOMA, BRS PHYSIOLOGY, USMLE WORLD The resources I need some input about: Firecracker (I am not sure if I have enough time), USMLE RX/FLASHCARDS/LECTURES (ultimate/first aid express - not sure how worth it these are), PRACTICE TESTS - where do you obtain these and how many can you take in a real test center or how do you go about it?
hey look brother, i totally understand your situation, however You need to be more specific, what your goals are, when you plan on taking the exam. if you are still in school or working or what. this is all necessary information ....if you can provide me with more a detailed response i would be willing to help you out as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
approach it in a smart way. the NECESSARY ITEMS: FA, UWORLD...........either DIT or KAPLAN (for the subjects such as behavioral, biochem, physiology, repro etc.) for path .......dont waste your time with others..just use pathoma. its golden.