Step I Step 1 in 4 days...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MaxillaryCa

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well it's finally here. I have my test in 4 days from today.
I wanted to know from anyone if I'm ready to take this beast.
NBME 17- 223 (2 weeks ago)
NBME 19- 223 (2 weeks ago)
UWSA1- 256 (1 week ago)
NBME 18- 238 (4 days ago)
UWSA2- 245 (Today)
I'm slightly concerned because of how I scored on my previous NBMEs.
I was making a lot of silly mistakes (not reading the question properly, missing key points, couldn't do math).
If anyone can give me a good idea of where I stand that would be great! I'm hoping to score in the 240s (fingers crossed).
 
Well it's finally here. I have my test in 4 days from today.
I wanted to know from anyone if I'm ready to take this beast.
NBME 17- 223 (2 weeks ago)
NBME 19- 223 (2 weeks ago)
UWSA1- 256 (1 week ago)
NBME 18- 238 (4 days ago)
UWSA2- 245 (Today)
I'm slightly concerned because of how I scored on my previous NBMEs.
I was making a lot of silly mistakes (not reading the question properly, missing key points, couldn't do math).
If anyone can give me a good idea of where I stand that would be great! I'm hoping to score in the 240s (fingers crossed).

What was your first pass Uworld % correct and what mode did you do it in?

You’re ready to take the test.

I would suggest in the next few days:
-take the free 120. Some questions are often reused. 88-89% or above seems to be a good indicator for 240+
-spend a good full day really nailing down your weak subjects. I was pathetic at biochem (20th percentile in Uworld) but after a full day of just studying that I got every question on the test
-rewatch as many pathoma and sketchy videos as you can, especially in high yield and weak subjects.
 
I think you should hit 240. The Free 120 is a good indicator of "doing well" but I wouldn't use it to gauge your score. If you are >80% on it I think you have a good chance of scoring 240+. But for example, there were people on here who scored 90%+ and then 230 on real deal, and then I scored 85% and got 252...so I would use it more of a "ok, I feel comfortable on this material" or "s**t, I need more time to study" kinda deal.

P.S. I also HIGHLY suggest taking the Free 120 AT the testing center. It calms your nerves cause you know exactly how test day is going to go.

P.S.#2. I see you scored 245 on UW2 which is a good predictor. Everyone I know scored at or above their UW2. I got 250 on UW2 and 252 real deal.
 
Well it's finally here. I have my test in 4 days from today.
I wanted to know from anyone if I'm ready to take this beast.
NBME 17- 223 (2 weeks ago)
NBME 19- 223 (2 weeks ago)
UWSA1- 256 (1 week ago)
NBME 18- 238 (4 days ago)
UWSA2- 245 (Today)
I'm slightly concerned because of how I scored on my previous NBMEs.
I was making a lot of silly mistakes (not reading the question properly, missing key points, couldn't do math).
If anyone can give me a good idea of where I stand that would be great! I'm hoping to score in the 240s (fingers crossed).


Go for it. You'll be fine. Your NBMEs remind me of my own (last NBME I took before Step was a 230) and I got ~70% on the free 120. Ended up with 240+

I think the NBMEs are known to underpredict
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What was your first pass Uworld % correct and what mode did you do it in?

You’re ready to take the test.

I would suggest in the next few days:
-take the free 120. Some questions are often reused. 88-89% or above seems to be a good indicator for 240+
-spend a good full day really nailing down your weak subjects. I was pathetic at biochem (20th percentile in Uworld) but after a full day of just studying that I got every question on the test
-rewatch as many pathoma and sketchy videos as you can, especially in high yield and weak subjects.

Hey sorry for the late response. I actually was worried about getting some negative remarks. I didn't want to get discouraged for any reason days before the test. But I got 92% on the Free 120. Take that with a grain of salt because I had done a few of the previous year's free 120s. I used it as a confidence boost more than anything.
Dude I might've been even worse at biochem, biostats, and genetics. I did just what you said actually. I spent a day just going over those topics and I knew everything on the test. Along with the videos, just to go over my weak subjects.
Overall, I think it went well! I made a few silly mistakes, but I also got some hard ones right (I think). Lets see how things turn out in a month.
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciated it when I read it!
 
I think you should hit 240. The Free 120 is a good indicator of "doing well" but I wouldn't use it to gauge your score. If you are >80% on it I think you have a good chance of scoring 240+. But for example, there were people on here who scored 90%+ and then 230 on real deal, and then I scored 85% and got 252...so I would use it more of a "ok, I feel comfortable on this material" or "s**t, I need more time to study" kinda deal.

P.S. I also HIGHLY suggest taking the Free 120 AT the testing center. It calms your nerves cause you know exactly how test day is going to go.

P.S.#2. I see you scored 245 on UW2 which is a good predictor. Everyone I know scored at or above their UW2. I got 250 on UW2 and 252 real deal.

I got a 92% on the Free 120. I actually took a few previous year's versions of the Free 120, so I'm not sure how much weight it held. I really used it as a confidence boost like you mentioned.

I wish I did take it at the testing center! Since it took 7 days just to process the request, I wasn't able to. I just went in there and tried to keep my nerves calm, and did the best I could.

Dude I hope you're right. I made some silly mistakes on this test. It started making me think how anyone could give me a 240 with getting that wrong. I'm just hoping things turn out better in a month.
Thanks for all the encouragement! I read this a few days before the test, but I was worried about some negative remarks. I didn't want to lose confidence days before the test.
 
Go for it. You'll be fine. Your NBMEs remind me of my own (last NBME I took before Step was a 230) and I got ~70% on the free 120. Ended up with 240+

I think the NBMEs are known to underpredict

They're just more straight forward about particular stuff that they want to know about. The Uworld questions give you a long paragraph to analyze and try to figure out the answer. I had a mix on test day. I think it went relatively okay, but I made some silly mistakes. Lets see how it turns out in a month (fingers crossed). Thank you for the encouragement!
 
I got a 238. I wish I could’ve got a 240+, but I did make a significant amount of really dumb mistakes. In the whole test, those mistakes only would account for less than 1%. But that’s the margin you have to pass to get that 240+.

congrats on the score!! Mind sharing what resources you used and how long your preparation was? Also if possible would you mind sharing your exam experience (question style/ difficulty compared to UW)? Thank you!