Step 1 prep advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

California90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am in need of some advice from those that have taken step 1. I'm in the process of preparing and plan to take the exam in one month. I've just done almost 3 solid weeks of kaplan videos and questions and have completed about 750 USMLE World questions. My problem is that my UW score is still at a 46% cumulative average :( !!! I have some rare high 50's to low 60's score but majority of my scores are still in the 40's. Is this going to get better? I've done almost all of kaplan and still have low scores so I'm worried! Is it that I just need to keep practicing world questions and will eventually get better? Maybe I'm studying the wrong way, but I do well when i use the kaplan question in the book and on the PLS system. What should my next step be for the next 3 weeks? please help! Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

when i started UW, i had one solid month of kaplan vids and reading all their books, some 3-4 times as well as reading the FA 2 times.

my score for a good week and a half was around 47% which totally freaked me out considering I had done a solid month of reviewing. But every day my score improved a little more. for a month i did UW questions in the day time and read FA in the evening. My score eventually went up to around a 55%, not great but it got me the passing score i needed for my test.