STEP 1 prep in 12 Months

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Guyton Killah

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to come out with a plan. ok. I want to do step 1 next year, in 12 months time. I want to start as soon as possible , leets say tomorrow . considering that I still have classes and exams, how muchh time per day should I set aside for step 1?

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to come out with a plan. ok. I want to do step 1 next year, in 12 months time. I want to start as soon as possible , leets say tomorrow . considering that I still have classes and exams, how muchh time per day should I set aside for step 1?

16 hours a day, with 1 10-minute break for lunch/bathroom. Go to sleep with Goljan Audio playing in your earphones, it will stick better in your long term memory. During classes, constantly be reviewing flash cards (don't pay attention to the lecture). At lunch, review the metabolic processes your sandwich is undergoing while you eat it...an effective biochem review. Tell a friend to call you randomly in the middle of the night and ask you a path vignette and if you get it incorrect, he gets to punch you the next time he sees you.

Follow this plan for 12 months and you are bound to get a 170+.:thumbup:

If you want to go gunner status, I'd go through the 2008 thread and see what books you need and how to study. Then I'd go and buy books and try to get through them slowly. You arent going to understand anything but at least you have some foundation. Starting 6 months I'd get through Goljan 3 times FA 4, BRS phys 1-2. By 5 months, start kaplan, finish it. 4 months, start U world. By 2 months you should be sitting pretty.

16 hours a day, with 1 10-minute break for lunch/bathroom. Go to sleep with Goljan Audio playing in your earphones, it will stick better in your long term memory. During classes, constantly be reviewing flash cards (don't pay attention to the lecture). At lunch, review the metabolic processes your sandwich is undergoing while you eat it...an effective biochem review. Tell a friend to call you randomly in the middle of the night and ask you a path vignette and if you get it incorrect, he gets to punch you the next time he sees you.

12 months? I started this plan junior year of UG on the monday after I took the MCAT ( I took that Saturday night and Sunday off - one of my greatest regrets.)

Members don't see this ad :)
12 months? I started this plan junior year of UG on the monday after I took the MCAT ( I took that Saturday night and Sunday off - one of my greatest regrets.)

Psh... amateur. I was studying my own embryology and the surrounding hormonal milieu in utero.

Jesus Christ, you are so behind. You better get on your boards studying like right now before you're destined to primary care in Alaska.

I'd suggest just incorporating boards studying into every single aspect of your life-- take flashcards of pharm everywhere you go, take first aid everywhere you go and memorize every single word of it, download golgan audio on your ipod and listen to it during your sleep, while you're in the shower, while you're exercising. When you're having sex, make sure you think about the physiology and where your sperm is traveling during ejaculation. When you're so tired from studying that you forgot the condom and you accidentally knocked up your girlfriend, that would be a good time to review the reproductive system and maybe some endocrine and stuff. You get the idea-- you gotta make med school and boards studying your LIFE if you want the SDN scores.

Hahaha, this is hilarious.

To OP, relax, if you even start 6m out you'll be WAY ahead of the game. 12m out, focus on classes, write notes in FA if you want but they won't help come boards time because your way of thinking and focus of your studies is different.

Psh... amateur. I was studying my own embryology and the surrounding hormonal milieu in utero.

Well, I was just absolutely spent after researching and making sure my acrosomal reaction went smoothly that I slept through the most of the 1st two trimesters.

You are all the greatest human beings on SDN. I really mean that.

Hahaha, this is hilarious.

To OP, relax, if you even start 6m out you'll be WAY ahead of the game. 12m out, focus on classes, write notes in FA if you want but they won't help come boards time because your way of thinking and focus of your studies is different.

i agree with this point. any effort will be futile i feel like. it may help you get through your reading faster a 2nd time, but in actuality you will likely have no idea what is going on. you can always be our test subject though and debunk the theory.

Great suggestion. But 16 hrs is too much and I don't wanna exhaust myself yet. Its only that I am a little bit skeptical of the routine 4 week cram and pass phenomenon! All ideas are welcome, ladies n gents!

Last edited:
Great suggestion. But 16 hrs is too much and I don't wanna exhaust myself yet. Its only that I am a little bit skeptical of the routine 4 week cram and pass phenomenon! All ideas are welcome, ladies n gents!

12 months? So I assume you're just finishing your 1st year then? Here's some advice I was given, and in retrospect was right on. The first two years of med school is the best prep you can have for the boards. Pay attention, study hard, and learn the material for real. Don't just learn the material for the exam because everything will come back to haunt you at some point (whether it be in boards or while treating patients). I started thinking about my "plan" for studying around Christmas of my 2nd year and then started studying during the last trimester. If you learned it the right way the first time around, this is plenty of time.

If you're dead set on starting some sort of prep, get Goljan RR and audio and read/listen to each chapter as you go through each subject in school. Some people will tell you to annotate FA during school, but I really didn't find this helpful.