Step 1 Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciestar

All grown up!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay! Quick question...now that my finals are over with, dedicated study time has begun. I take Step 1 on June 11th and my first NBME is soon.

My question is this: is the combo of FA, Pathoma, Sketchy, and UWorld enough to do well? Is it too late to sign up for a B&B or Kaplan-type prepn course? Our MS3’s for the most part didn’t use a prep course at all.

Is it best to study a section and then do the UWorld questions to follow? My goal is around a 230 (which I have serious doubts about my abilities..).

Anyway, advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I think those 4 resources should definitely get you a 230+.
If you spread yourself too thin you risk not really learning anything at all... and I really don't think those prep courses are worth it.

I mistakenly tried studying a topic and then doing the relevant UW questions afterwards. My advice would be to just do all UW questions on random from the get go.

Good luck!

Yeah I think those 4 resources should definitely get you a 230+.
If you spread yourself too thin you risk not really learning anything at all... and I really don't think those prep courses are worth it.

I mistakenly tried studying a topic and then doing the relevant UW questions afterwards. My advice would be to just do all UW questions on random from the get go.

Good luck!

Do them at random and then review topics wherever that I struggle with?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do them at random and then review topics wherever that I struggle with?

So of course this is just my opinion, but yes that is what I would do. It's just too much of a crutch to try to do questions based solely on what you just reviewed because it does not simulate the exam format at all. I would do them at random + review stuff you're weak on + come up with a plan to review everything in general (ex. come up with a schedule to review first aid cover to cover, regardless of what questions you get that day).

So of course this is just my opinion, but yes that is what I would do. It's just too much of a crutch to try to do questions based solely on what you just reviewed because it does not simulate the exam format at all. I would do them at random + review stuff you're weak on + come up with a plan to review everything in general (ex. come up with a schedule to review first aid cover to cover, regardless of what questions you get that day).

Ahh, okay, I see what you’re saying. Thank you!!

Question, though... where does Sketchy and Pathoma fit into this?

I would highly suggest you go to the step 1 forum and look at the experiences thread. Lots and lots of people from loads of different scores should give you an idea of what is a good approach to get the score you want!