Step 1 Review Courses - how effective are they?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sttep1bia

Reaction score
Hi! I am an IMG and have been studying for Step 1 for several months now. The sources I've used are UFAP, Sketchy and Boards & Beyond. However, I don't notice my score showing any improvements. I'm having a hard time consolidating information and feel like I need someone to guide me throughout my step 1 prep to let me know what I'm going wrong and right.

I am considering signing up for a Step 1 course but would like to hear (rather, read) feedback from people who have taken similar courses, especially before I invest $$$ money in this. So far, I have found that these are the programs that help students prep for Step 1:

* GOLD USMLE
* NYC Prep
* Pass Program
* Ocean Ink
* Smash USMLE
* IOMB

Members don't see this ad.

What do you think these programs will teach you that you already haven’t learned from everything you’ve used?

Nothing wrong with the resources you’ve used. My guess is you’re not studying right and I doubt these programs will all of sudden improve “you”. Look into anki or other ways to actively study. Do lots of questions, read every single explanation and try to connect the concepts in your head. Resource overload is one of the most common reasons why people do bad in step 1. For step 2 we basically just do uworld and everyone does better. Pick something you’re learning the most from and improve your study techniques

What do you think these programs will teach you that you already haven’t learned from everything you’ve used?

Nothing wrong with the resources you’ve used. My guess is you’re not studying right and I doubt these programs will all of sudden improve “you”. Look into anki or other ways to actively study. Do lots of questions, read every single explanation and try to connect the concepts in your head. Resource overload is one of the most common reasons why people do bad in step 1. For step 2 we basically just do uworld and everyone does better. Pick something you’re learning the most from and improve your study techniques

I think I'm just not confident in what I'm doing and need someone to help me keep things in check. Other people suggest finding a mentor but I'm an IMG and feel like it'll be a bit of a challenge to find someone willing to take me under their wing for step 1 without having to pay a fee. What are some ways I can try and study right?

Status
Not open for further replies.