Step 1 Score: 199- Is there hope to match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medskoolnoob

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well it was quite the wait with all the score reporting issues this week. I have been freaking out for the last 3 weeks thinking that I just got booted from school. Yesterday, I was able to see that I passed via FSMB but only to be crushed when my scores came out as 199 this morning. Much lower than my practice scores, but I also felt like I received a ridiculous exam that was no where near UW or NBME questions. It was the luck of the draw sadly. I am an US citizen IMG, am I even going to match at this point? I know I still have my rotations and step 2/3 to pick up the slack. I never wanted to do anything competitive, IM/FM and then do a fellowship was always my go to... but at this point that even seems impossible. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO THINK. SOMEONE HELP. Did I just screw myself? This feeling really sucks.

UW1: 230 UW2: 230
NBME 20: 198 NBME 21: 203 NBME 22: 208 NBME 23: 215 NBME 24: 219
Step 1: 199

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

You may have already found this, but if not take a look. It has graphs showing probability of matching into different specialties by Step 1 score for US-IMG and non-US-IMG. Your chances of matching into FM or IM with 199 Step 1 are not zero, based on the report. It's too bad Step 1 is currently treated more like a residency screening tool and less like the medical licensing exam it's intended to be. Maybe that's why there's talk of making Step 1 pass/fail. Anyway, best of luck to you.

You may have already found this, but if not take a look. It has graphs showing probability of matching into different specialties by Step 1 score for US-IMG and non-US-IMG. Your chances of matching into FM or IM with 199 Step 1 are not zero, based on the report. It's too bad Step 1 is currently treated more like a residency screening tool and less like the medical licensing exam it's intended to be. Maybe that's why there's talk of making Step 1 pass/fail. Anyway, best of luck to you.

Thanks will take a look right now. Its a tough situation, at this point i have two options 1) gamble, continue, haul ass and pray for the best or 2) play it safe and give up... and I really don't want to give up.

Thanks will take a look right now. Its a tough situation, at this point i have two options 1) gamble, continue, haul ass and pray for the best or 2) play it safe and give up... and I really don't want to give up.

I think it's still a good thing that you passed. I'd go balls to the walls on Step 2 prep and aim for community Family Medicine programs. You still have room to pull this off!

It’s great you passed! But as an IMG, you’re going to need to apply to a LOT of programs (FM/IM) and knock CK out of the park.