Step-1 score and beyond

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i4eye

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
For screening applicants to determine who is to be interviewed and who is not, do the programs use any kind of restrictive criteria? I mean 5 year graduation cut off, visa needs, attempts etc like most of the programs under NRMP do, or is it just the step-1 score? Whole of the application is definitely important, but am I right in thinking that you don't get a second chance if you are applying to a program as an old grad that clearly states there is a 5 yr grad date cut off! Please correct me if I'm wrong. Any thought/ suggestion on that? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand why people should be reluctant to answer this!? I don't think this would be classified as match violation! Or would it? Posted this for the second time!! Beats me completely!!! Good luck everybody

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
For screening applicants to determine who is to be interviewed and who is not, do the programs use any kind of restrictive criteria? I mean 5 year graduation cut off, visa needs, attempts etc like most of the programs under NRMP do, or is it just the step-1 score? Whole of the application is definitely important, but am I right in thinking that you don't get a second chance if you are applying to a program as an old grad that clearly states there is a 5 yr grad date cut off! Please correct me if I'm wrong. Any thought/ suggestion on that? Thank you

People are not answering because there really is no clear cut criteria. I am sure most programs use Step1 as an initial screen. If you have Visa issues, then that's a whole different hurdle. Many programs may not even consider you regardless of what your step 1 or step 2 score is.

It may be beneficial if an IMG who has successfully matched into ophthalmology on this forum to voice their opinion. They can give you a list of programs that consider IMGs.

Don't know about the 5 year cut-off date for ophthalmology. Probably program specific.

Thanks JMK, it does help a lot. IMGs who match successfully never come back to tell their stories to striving fellow IMGs. I don't expect it either. I started a thread sometime ago for all the IMGs to share information and to help each other. Nobody replied to that. I've grown up now. I'll do what I have to do and keep it to myself! Probably that's the way people do it! :cool:'Dog eat dog' world! Never mind the bitterness.:D Thanks again and good luck mate!

I think your best bet would be to contact different programs to see if they have observerships or research positions. You stand a much better chance of getting an interview if they have worked with you. These contacts will also give you an opportunity for letters from US ophthalmologists.

You should look up different residency webpages and key in on programs that give IMGs as current residents. Dr. Doan has compiled an extensive list of all the programs with their associated webpages.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=470595

Goodluck.

Thanks JMK, it does help a lot. IMGs who match successfully never come back to tell their stories to striving fellow IMGs. I don't expect it either. I started a thread sometime ago for all the IMGs to share information and to help each other. Nobody replied to that. I've grown up now. I'll do what I have to do and keep it to myself! Probably that's the way people do it! :cool:'Dog eat dog' world! Never mind the bitterness.:D Thanks again and good luck mate!

As an IMG currently doing ophtho in the US, I can tell you that your application will be basically screened on the basis of your IMG status, regardless of years after graduation or Step 1 score.

As i have said in previous posts, the match process for IMGs is a totally different ball game. What really matters is what you have done (here in the US), and who you have met in the process.

Every year 15-25 IMG succesfully match into ophtho, and most of them have dedicated several years to prove themselves.
The two most common ways are: doing a clinical fellowship (only if you have already done ophthalmology somewhere else) or a pre residency research fellowships. You will have to send emails to several ophtho departments (if not to all of them) to find opportunities for those positions.

Best of luck, do not get discouraged if you do not get interviews or not match initially, perseverance is the key.

Thanks a lot JMK and MDEYES! Any idea if residency from the apex institution of home country followed by three years of UK experience with UK qualifications mean something to them? Or is it ONLY the things you've done in USA? I've quite good track record in Ophthal (including Hon's twice) and the rest of it, and a good step-1 score (241). I know nobody can predict your chances, but all I want to know is will it be worth applying to Ophthal from outside US without any US experience at all?

Thanks a lot JMK and MDEYES! Any idea if residency from the apex institution of home country followed by three years of UK experience with UK qualifications mean something to them? Or is it ONLY the things you've done in USA? I've quite good track record in Ophthal (including Hon's twice) and the rest of it, and a good step-1 score (241). I know nobody can predict your chances, but all I want to know is will it be worth applying to Ophthal from outside US without any US experience at all?

It always help to have done things outside the US, but remember that in order to get a spot, there will be a highly qualified AMG who will not match. I would ask your mentors in UK/home country about any contacts here in the US.
You may also apply to a clinical fellowship at the same time as a back up.

what is HON?

MDEYES,
Thanks mate! Immensely helpful advice; very much appreciated! I was thinking to do exactly the same!!:p By 'HON' S', I meant 'Honours', ehm--- I mean 'Honors'!:D
Good luck pal and thanks again!

MDEYES,
Thanks mate! Immensely helpful advice; very much appreciated! I was thinking to do exactly the same!!:p By 'HON' S', I meant 'Honours', ehm--- I mean 'Honors'!:D
Good luck pal and thanks again!

241 is nice but not that far above the average of 235. How's your research? Publications?

Pinkertinkle,
I know 241 is just not enough for an IMG aspiring for Ophthal and I was disappointed with my score. But now that I can not change it, I've accepted it and decided to move on. For research etc, I've done a published thesis work during my doctorate studies from a very reputed institution back home. Nothing more than that!:( My research background is pretty dismal compared to my very strong clinical-surgical-academic background! I'm afraid that may not be good enough to compete with highly motivated and highly qualified AMGs with step-1 score in 260s. But the best I can do is to try, because I believe not to try is the worst crime of humanity and simply unforgivable!

Your UK experience will help. You will have a decent shot of matching someday. But like others said you may need to do a fellowship here to help your chances. It's just a competitive market.

Thanks cme2c! Just :xf:at the moment!!!!! Good luck mate!