step 1 stuff hiding on step 2 ck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Momentum70

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took step 2 ck and their were probably about 15 questions that were step 1 like. Anyone else experience this? For example(i have to keep it vague for copyright infringement stuff) there was a description of a person with certain symptoms. I was able to figure out what they had and what drug was needed to treat the condition. However the question asked the mechanism the drug effect has on the organism. I could not remember, and no it wasnt something easy like penicillin.

Just in case you are wondering I would not have studied any differently than I did. I felt I did well, although I wont know for sure for a few weeks. It would be insane to try and study all the basic sciences step 1 stuff for the few questions on there. Im not a fan of super low yield studying. There were just times during the test where in my mind I went "Darnit I knew this 2 years ago"

Members don't see this ad.

Would you mind telling us what books you used to study. I am about to start studying for this thing and it might help me decide on a book considering what you are pointing out. Currenlty I have FA Step2CK and Secrets. Was planning on only using secrets and USMLEworld. Thanks.

Yes, I had a question that was blatantly Step 1. I won't post the exact question, but it involved knowing different regions of a gene and the name of a molecule that regulates the gene. Blatantly basic science. Thy NBME is probably going an experimental study to show how little final year medical students know about basic science...

Ive been a long time reader and thought it was time to contribute a little bit.

Im glad I was not the only one then that felt this way. I had the same question as you momentum. My other favorite step 1 question was being tested on Chiarni malformation and Dandy-Walker Syndrome....come on. Overall, i thought the exam was pretty fair with some questions blatantly from usmle world, as if they had really good "inside" information. I could not recommend that source enough. Secrets was helpful, first aid is definitely not as good as for step 1. Oh, and Goljan for step 2 is not nearly as helpful as step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Out of curiosity, did you do any of the NBME exams? Were they helpful for Step 2? I did a bunch for Step 1. Not sure if its worth the time at this point. Also, did anyone do the UW practice exam?

Thanks so much!

I am hoping some of those basic science questions were experimental and didnt count. I used Usmle world and swansons family practice review question book. I also used my good old tatterred and marked up boards and wards book for some EKG stuff and some helpful charts and stuff.

Also I think im deaf or something but it was tough for me to distiguish those heart sounds on the test. I really wish they wouldnt put those on there and im just glad I could figure out most of the stuff from the vignette

Thanks for the info. I am going with the USMLE World and Step 2 Secrets approach. Although, the neurotic side of me led to me purchasing First Aid Step 2CK as well and occasionally "fact checking" with secrets. Hopefully this works out even though I have absolutely no motivation to study.

I am sure you will do fine though like most others. Congrats on getting the test over with.

Go LAKERS!

I just took the test and I know what you mean... although, should we not be expected to still know the basic sciences?? I think it's perfectly fair to require us to remember drug mechanisms, though I'd probably be as likely as anyone else to get that question wrong. I mean, I really hope I don't let myself forget everything I've learned third year when I'm an intern... just my opinion.

I just took the test and I know what you mean... although, should we not be expected to still know the basic sciences?? I think it's perfectly fair to require us to remember drug mechanisms, though I'd probably be as likely as anyone else to get that question wrong. I mean, I really hope I don't let myself forget everything I've learned third year when I'm an intern... just my opinion.

I had quite a few questions that were very step 1 like on my exam wednesday. Pathophysiology etc. Most of them I could remember from Goljan's lectures and him stressing about them at some point, amazing what stuff sticks with you from that long ago.