Step 2 and 3 of USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc driven

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the time. After doing research, I think taking step 1 as a DO makes you more competitive. Do DO's take step 2 and 3 of USMLE also? I appreciate the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It'll help if you want to go apply for an allopathic fellowship at some point down the line. Maybe someone else can chime in or elaborate.

Doing well on Step I is the best thing you can do for yourself if you are interested in any moderately competitive specialty. I am not sure but maybe some of these would like to see a good Step II - but not many places most likely. Few take Step III.

That being said, I recived my unrestricted medical license via the USMLE pathway. Never took COMLEX III.

Doing well on Step I is the best thing you can do for yourself if you are interested in any moderately competitive specialty. I am not sure but maybe some of these would like to see a good Step II - but not many places most likely. Few take Step III.

That being said, I recived my unrestricted medical license via the USMLE pathway. Never took COMLEX III.

yeah, what's the advantage?

yeah, what's the advantage?

Not a whole lot. I didn't do so hot on Step I so I had to blow Step II out (which I did thank god). Took I and II of the COMLEX of course because they were required for graduation. So it came down to Step III. I wanted to get it out of the way early so I took it during an elective month of my internship. At the time it was only offered in certain places on certain days whereas the USMLE was anytime on the computer. I knew I was going to a state w/o a DO licensing board and that they would take USMLE and that the chances of me ever leaving said state were/are slim to none and even if I do it ain't gonna be to one of the "big 5". Plus I hate the AOA and it gave me a way (albeit kind of stupid) to give them the big middle finger.

Not a whole lot. I didn't do so hot on Step I so I had to blow Step II out (which I did thank god). Took I and II of the COMLEX of course because they were required for graduation. So it came down to Step III. I wanted to get it out of the way early so I took it during an elective month of my internship. At the time it was only offered in certain places on certain days whereas the USMLE was anytime on the computer. I knew I was going to a state w/o a DO licensing board and that they would take USMLE and that the chances of me ever leaving said state were/are slim to none and even if I do it ain't gonna be to one of the "big 5". Plus I hate the AOA and it gave me a way (albeit kind of stupid) to give them the big middle finger.

so, do states WITH DO licensing boards require DOs to license through them?

so, do states WITH DO licensing boards require DOs to license through them?

Yes, states with osteopathic licensing board will require DOs to license through them. However, not all states with DO licensing boards require COMLEX (many will accept USMLE). The following will require COMLEX for licensure

California
Florida
Michigan (for initial licensure) - will take USMLE for reciprocity
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Tennessee (for initial licensure) - will take USMLE for reciprocity only
Vermont
West Virginia

In addition, right now in order to be eligible for USMLE Step 3, you must take and pass USMLE Step 2-CS (the standardize patient). The fee is $1025 (as of this post) for USMLE Step 2-CS. There are only 5 test centers.

So the question is - is it worth it to take USMLE 2-CK and 2-CS (in addition to the COMLEX series that the school will require for graduation)

So the question is - is it worth it to take USMLE 2-CK and 2-CS (in addition to the COMLEX series that the school will require for graduation)

Yes... You get to throw away all your OMM papers after you take the 2nd Comlex and never have to think about the proper way to feel CSF pulsation again. You get to never worry about AOA membership. You never have to worry about Osteopathic CME, or tenderpoints on specialty board exams.

Taking all three USMLEs is the way to go.

However, it's my impression that to successfully execute this strategy you have to do the allopathic match and go to an ACGME only certified residency. If you match into one of the residencies that is dually-accredited, the two letters on your degree will force you into filling AOA checkboxes...?

So here's to hoping that fewer program directors bother with AOA accreditation for their programs as well.

Yes... You get to throw away all your OMM papers after you take the 2nd Comlex and never have to think about the proper way to feel CSF pulsation again. You get to never worry about AOA membership. You never have to worry about Osteopathic CME, or tenderpoints on specialty board exams.

Taking all three USMLEs is the way to go.

However, it's my impression that to successfully execute this strategy you have to do the allopathic match and go to an ACGME only certified residency. If you match into one of the residencies that is dually-accredited, the two letters on your degree will force you into filling AOA checkboxes...?

So here's to hoping that fewer program directors bother with AOA accreditation for their programs as well.

There are plenty of DOs in allopathic residencies who may or may not have taken USMLE Step 1, but definately did not take USMLE Step 2 (or Step 3).

And since they are in an ACGME residency, there will not be OMM on the specialty board, no tenderpoints on the specialty board, no AOA-membership requirement to take the specialty board.

You only have to take COMLEX 3 and then you qualify for licensure in all 50 states (*5 states have that additional AOA-intern year requirement)

Taking USMLE Step 3 means having to pay an extra $1000 for USMLE 2-CS and $400 for USMLE 2-CK in addition to the COMLEX series ... and it still won't allow you to practice in all 50 states if you don't finish the COMLEX series.

I only took USMLE Step 1. I finished out the COMLEX series. I'm in an ACGME university residency program. I will never have to worry about tenderpoints, cranial-sacral, correct positioning for FPR, etc. I don't have to worry about AOA CME for board certification (HOWEVER, depending on the state, AOA CME may be required to maintain licensure, but this is state dependant and whether you finished the usmle or comlex series is a moot point).

I only have to review my OMM material for COMLEX 3. No 2-day USMLE Step 3 exam after spending $1400+ for USMLE 2-CK and 2-CS.