1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Step 2 and internship

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by yagmd, Mar 23, 2004.

1. yagmd

yagmd Member
    7+ Year Member

Does anyone know if there is a deadline for when we have to take Step 2 before starting internship?

I thought I'd heard stories in the past that interns weren't allowed to sign orders unless they had official confirmation that they had passed Step 2. How long do the score reports take to arrive after you've taken the exam? If I take Step 2 in mid-late May, is that too late?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This policy varies. I wasn't required to take Step 2 at Hopkins, so I waited well into my Intern year to take it. To get a resident license, all you need is a diploma in most states. Perhaps the rules have changed now.

4. Kalel

Kalel Membership Revoked
    Removed

Hopkins is weird with standardized tests. They don't even require students to take any of the steps to graduate, and their med school adcom used to not even require the mcat. Most IM programs that I visited do require you to have step 2 completed prior to starting residency, I assume that goes for the prelim programs as well.