Step 2 CK for Interview Invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JYW15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted some advice on how step 2 ck is perceived when inviting applicants to interview. I'm a rising MS4 interested in psych, who's currently studying for step 2 ck, but it doesn't look like my score will be great. Maybe 230s to 240s. My step 1 was 240s and I'm worried that my step 2 ck will be lower and I've heard that residencies would prefer your step 2 ck to be higher than step 1. Will that hurt my chances of getting interviews? Would it be better to postpone and not have a step 2 ck by the time I send out ERAS or just take it? USMD at mid tier school for reference.

Members don't see this ad.

The NRMP hasn't charted psychiatry USMLEs for 2019 but we will see them in Sept. 2018 showed step I's 25%tile as 213.0, 50%tile 222.0, and 75%tile 230.0. For step II, 25%tile was 229.0, 50%tile was 235.0 and 75%tile was 242.0

So to answer your question, most applicants do have a higher step II than step I, but it is more about doing well enough. You are in the top quartile for step I, if you end up in the second quartile in step II, it isn't going to look like a disastrous trend to worry about. At any rate, going from the 3rd quartile to the 4th would be worse and already not possible in your case.

I know some schools tell applicants that if they ace step I, don't take step II because it can only hurt you. Most schools require step II to graduate and personally, I'll invite you to interview without a step II if you look good otherwise, but better have step II in by the time rank lists are due. If there is a chance you will not graduate on time, I have 99 other people who don't have this risk. I know that most students are unlikely to fail, but this has happened and it is my responsibility to have a full class of interns in June.

Reactions: 1 users
I know some schools tell applicants that if they ace step I, don't take step II because it can only hurt you. Most schools require step II to graduate and personally, I'll invite you to interview without a step II if you look good otherwise, but better have step II in by the time rank lists are due. If there is a chance you will not graduate on time, I have 99 other people who don't have this risk. I know that most students are unlikely to fail, but this has happened and it is my responsibility to have a full class of interns in June.
Cannot emphasize this enough.
If your Dean is repeating that misinformation about "don't take it, it can only hurt you", tell them that Program Directors in Psychiatry are uniformly telling you that that is outdated bovine waste.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Strong applicant with strong step 1? You're probably fine to get your score report in an October-January window. You'll have to update it before rank lists are submitted anyway (unless you want to go unranked by programs, as noted above), so it's not like you can ever really hide getting a bad score.

Everyone else should have their CK listed on ERAS at the time of submission.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the responses! I'll just keep my current test date, seems like it'll probably be in my best interest to get step 2 over with if I can.

Reactions: 1 user