step 2 CK help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giguerex35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all i have just finished step 1 and level 1 and am about to start rotations. I wanted to know what the general consensus was in terms of how to study for step 2 / level 2, like i know for step 1 everyone says UFAP, so what would be the equivalent i guess for step 2 / level 2. Also any other tips on how to study, step 2 anki decks etc that are commonly used would be appreciated. I was a big fan of zanki and BB if that helps at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For step 2 and shelf exams, I think questions are way more important than anything else, so Uworld and Comquest for comlex for sure. Cheesy dorian anki deck if you're an anki person. OnlineMedEd videos if you like his teaching style. There's also boards and beyond if you like Dr. Ryan's teaching style as well, but it isn't free like OME. Divine intervention podcast, Emma Holliday, Dr High yield and dirty medicine for more high yield stuff.

Reactions: 4 users
For step 2 and shelf exams, I think questions are way more important than anything else, so Uworld and Comquest for comlex for sure. Cheesy dorian anki deck if you're an anki person. OnlineMedEd videos if you like his teaching style. There's also boards and beyond if you like Dr. Ryan's teaching style as well, but it isn't free like OME. Divine intervention podcast, Emma Holliday, Dr High yield and dirty medicine for more high yield stuff.
can you clue me into what comats are exactly too, my school says they dont use them an that they write their own but that we can take them if we want to? so i guess my question is, what are they

Members don't see this ad :)
can you clue me into what comats are exactly too, my school says they dont use them an that they write their own but that we can take them if we want to? so i guess my question is, what are they
They are standardized exams created by the NBOME for the core specialties (IM, FM, Peds, OMM, OBGYN, Gen Surg, Psych, EM). They are the so called Shelf Exams. We usually take them at the end of those rotations. But I've never heard of a school get rid of them and use their own. That's weird.

Reactions: 4 users

Do you mind briefly describing how you went about studying during rotations (i.e. Week 1 watch all OME/BnB, Week 2 start hammering UW/COMQUEST, etc, Week 3/4 ramp up # questions). How long you had each day to dedicate just to studying. Most of ours are 4 weeks long and there are way too many questions in some of the shelf sections in UW to finish in 4 weeks.

Do you mind briefly describing how you went about studying during rotations (i.e. Week 1 watch all OME/BnB, Week 2 start hammering UW/COMQUEST, etc, Week 3/4 ramp up # questions). How long you had each day to dedicate just to studying. Most of ours are 4 weeks long and there are way too many questions in some of the shelf sections in UW to finish in 4 weeks.
I just made sure I finished the Comquest shelf specific questions every month, I watched Emma Holliday for the high yield stuff, and that was enough for me to do well. I usually find myself doing a lot more questions the week leading to my comat. I didn't like OME because his teaching style didn't go with mine, but everybody is different. You gotta find what works for you.

• Love
Your school doesnt use comats...? Who writes your end of rotation exams?

Your school doesnt use comats...? Who writes your end of rotation exams?
our school writes their own apparently but we are allowed to take the comats if we want to. they said it may increase how competitive your are if we do take it but im not so sure i believe that

our school writes their own apparently but we are allowed to take the comats if we want to. they said it may increase how competitive your are if we do take it but im not so sure i believe that
This is a lie.

Reactions: 2 users
I just made sure I finished the Comquest shelf specific questions every month, I watched Emma Holliday for the high yield stuff, and that was enough for me to do well. I usually find myself doing a lot more questions the week leading to my comat. I didn't like OME because his teaching style didn't go with mine, but everybody is different. You gotta find what works for you.
Did you use Uworld at all? I'm wondering if Uworld, sketchy's step 2 material (hard maybe though) + Emma Holliday would be enough for COMLEX 2/Step 2

Did you use Uworld at all? I'm wondering if Uworld, sketchy's step 2 material (hard maybe though) + Emma Holliday would be enough for COMLEX 2/Step 2
I didn't do uworld for shelf exams, but I'm going over uworld Qs right now for step 2/level 2 which I take next month, and I think it's a very good Qbank like usual. The only thing is I probably won't finish all of it because they just keep on adding more questions, and it's getting too much at this point, but definitely start it early if you wanna finish it. I'm not doing Sketchy though. The only other material I'm using is BnB, Emma Holliday, Dirty Medicine and the step up to law and ethics anki deck.

They are standardized exams created by the NBOME for the core specialties (IM, FM, Peds, OMM, OBGYN, Gen Surg, Psych, EM). They are the so called Shelf Exams. We usually take them at the end of those rotations. But I've never heard of a school get rid of them and use their own. That's weird.
any tips on studying for the shelf exams, i know mine might be different but we are pretty much left out to dry in terms of knowing what to study for all of second year. do most people just study step stuff and use it for shelves too

any tips on studying for the shelf exams, i know mine might be different but we are pretty much left out to dry in terms of knowing what to study for all of second year. do most people just study step stuff and use it for shelves too
Your school is screwing you over. Most people just use uworld or comquest and sometimes an anki deck. Since their standardized exams it makes it really hard to fail if you use their resources dilligently. Who knows how to study for a school written one except for your upper classmen

Do most people content review before jumping into UW Step 2? What are typical averages for UW starting off, start with IM and heard those questions are harder than most the other shelf sections.

Do most people content review before jumping into UW Step 2? What are typical averages for UW starting off, start with IM and heard those questions are harder than most the other shelf sections.
There’s waaay too much variation. Some people do uworld twice cold. Some never finish. Some read multiple books. Some never crack open one. Some do anki for each rotation or even keep with reviews all year. Some don’t bother with it.

Because of this, you really can’t take the averages in uworld too seriously. It’s just a study tool.

• Love