Step 2 CK or CS before ROL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medrocks47

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Ive seen this Q answered in other subforums like IM and EM but never rads.

Is a CK or CS score required before the ROL is submitted?

Several attendings and residents told me that they are not required for ranking - one resident told me he took CK in March of MS4 well after ROL deadlines. I’ve only heard of UCSF requiring CK/CS. I’ve checked multiple program websites and none mention requiring CS/CK and if mentioned, it only says CK/CS needs to be passed before starting residency.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,

Several attendings and residents told me that they are not required for ranking - one resident told me he took CK in March of MS4 well after ROL deadlines. I’ve only heard of UCSF requiring CK/CS. I’ve checked multiple program websites and none mention requiring CS/CK and if mentioned, it only says CK/CS needs to be passed before starting residency.

Thanks!

Also very interested in this answer

For most programs, the answer is emphatically yes. Almost every program requires them to be in by the time they rank you as a matter of policy (a wise one).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Thanks!

I had CK in but didnt get my score for CS until after I had already matched.

For most programs, the answer is emphatically yes. Almost every program requires them to be in by the time they rank you as a matter of policy (a wise one).
I don't think this is accurate. I also took Step 2 CK in March of my MS4 year (2 weeks after Match Day) and ended up at my top choice. The emphasis on Step 2 you see in IM/ED/surgery just doesn't hold up for most rads programs.

I don't think this is accurate. I also took Step 2 CK in March of my MS4 year (2 weeks after Match Day) and ended up at my top choice. The emphasis on Step 2 you see in IM/ED/surgery just doesn't hold up for most rads programs.

Was your top choice a top radiology program?

Yes, I matched into radiology. UCSF does explicitly state that you won't be considered for their ROL if you don't release Step 2 scores, but I didn't encounter that anywhere else.

Good to know! I won't have CK in by ROL so this is a relief.