Step 2 CK release strategy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lawdawg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation. I took step 2 ck at the end of July, and therefore expect my scores in the next week or so (~Aug 22). If I go ahead and complete my application on ERAS and wish to apply to all the programs before my score comes back (I have a competitive step 1), will it let me? Or do I have to wait until September 1 before it lets me apply at all, which leaves my stuck with my step 2 score on my application (automatically included on my USMLE transcipt) regardless of the outcome. Hope someone can understand my confusion.

Members don't see this ad.

lawdawg,

it really depends what you selected when you released your usmle transcript. did you select to only release your step 1 or to release all scores when the become available? if you selected to only release step 1, then you will have to go back and chose to release your new step 2 score once you receive your score. then you can assign this score report to the programs. you can chose not to send it to anyone. however, if you selected to have all transcripts automatically released, then its a done deal and your programs will receive both scores at once. also, on your CAF, if you indicated the date of your step 2, i'm pretty sure your programs are gonna wonder where your score is when you show up to interview and it is 5 months after the testing date. remember, that the CAF and the score reports are separate entities. finalizing and submitting your CAF does not preclude further updating your usmle status by later authorizing transmission of new scores. does this make sense?

In my case, I indicated October for my step 2ck date and if that changes after I submit my CAF, and anyone asks me about it, then I'll just say I rescheduled. I don't think its a big deal. But I wouldn't put that you took it in july/august, not release the scores, and then tell programs you rescheduled to avoid telling them your score... that would just be dishonest and likely to come back to haunt you :rolleyes:

I think there is some confusion about the USMLE transcript. At least - I am confused....The way I understand it your two options are
1. send the current transcript at the time of submission
this means that everything on the USMLE transcript will be sent - step 1,
step 2, CS whatever is already on there. If you have not taken step 2 or
the score is not yet reported on the official USMLE transcript, your step 2
score will not be seen by the schools you are applying to.
2. send the current transcript and automatically update your application if
a new score is added to your transcript. This means that your current
USMLE transcript is sent and when your step 2 scores come in whenever
they come in - your application will be automatically updated.

to update your USMLE scores with option 1 you have to resubmit

Does this sound right....So if my step 2 score is already posted on my USMLE transcript - it will go out with my application even though I chose the first option.

You can't submit your application before Sept 1....it won't let you apply to any programs until then!