Step 2 CK score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychie83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone - I'm new to the forum and have a question:

I'm a US medical student, applying for psych residencies. I scored above average on step 1, so delayed taking step 2CK till end of december. At this point, I have completed all of my interviews (interviewed at 9 programs - Longwood, Penn, Duke, Stanford being my top choices currently). I just got my step 2 CK score back yesterday - and I bombed it. Only passed by a hair (ie. less than 200). Unfortunately, I released my step 2 scores automatically when submitting eras - so i think they got sent to my schools.

I already have interviewed everywhere that I wanted to, but now I'm scared that programs won't rank me highly because of my step 2 score. Does anyone know how much Step 2CK score matters this late in the game? Are PD's looking at scores that come in after interviews are completed?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

While I am only an applicant like yourself right now, I wouldn't worry much about it. I had a couple PD's ask about the status of my Step 2's before I released them. They usually said something like, "I'm not really worried about you passing Step 2 based on your step 1 score, but it is nice to be 100% sure that you will be cleared to be a resident here next year."

Granted I didn't apply to the NE, but I think most places only care that you pass Step 2 so that there isn't any problems come next year.

I'm a US medical student, applying for psych residencies. I scored above average on step 1, so delayed taking step 2CK till end of december. At this point, I have completed all of my interviews (interviewed at 9 programs - Longwood, Penn, Duke, Stanford being my top choices currently). I just got my step 2 CK score back yesterday - and I bombed it. Only passed by a hair (ie. less than 200). Unfortunately, I released my step 2 scores automatically when submitting eras - so i think they got sent to my schools.

I already have interviewed everywhere that I wanted to, but now I'm scared that programs won't rank me highly because of my step 2 score. Does anyone know how much Step 2CK score matters this late in the game? Are PD's looking at scores that come in after interviews are completed?

Thanks so much!
I would not worry about it too much, especially if everything else in your application is strong. Passing it and demonstrating that to the programs are the most important things. Scoring higher would, of course, be better. I believe most of us focus more on your interpersonal skills since these are pretty important for a psychiatrist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Besides Longwood, are there any other programs that require step 2 CS scores to rank applicants? I didn't realize this, and am taking CS on Feb 1. Do you think the scores will arrive in time?

Besides Longwood, are there any other programs that require step 2 CS scores to rank applicants? I didn't realize this, and am taking CS on Feb 1. Do you think the scores will arrive in time?

My step 2cs score took 6 weeks to come back. You can look up the date they publish he scores online somewhere. I've heard that it is very important at a few schools including UCSF, OU, and Arkansas.

If you have good scores otherwise, I don't think it will be a huge problem at most places.

Thanks so much!

wow....it wouldn't matter so much i think if your goal was just to match somewhere. IOW if you had a good application(and gosh apparently you do based on your interviews) and wanted to match at programs like Ohio State, Iowa, University of South Carolina, etc I don't think it would be a big issue.

But at Duke, Stanford, etc......I don't think you're automatically eliminated from consideration, but it will definately be a small ding. And yeah, they will definately look at it and take it into consideration before they finalize their list.

I also did the automatic release thing for Step 2 CS, afraid that programs would think I was hiding something if I didn't. I'm biting my nails until my score comes back in early February. It's almost inconceivable to me that I failed it, but that's probably how it feels to most students who actually end up failing - probably due to arbitrary grading more than poor performance.

Due to starting 3rd year clerkships somewhat off cycle for my Master's research, scheduling step 2 before December is impossible, and it seems it's also very difficult to find any CS spots at all in November, December or January. Actually from September to January, there are no spots available at any of the 5 CS testing centers.

Given the huge excess demand for CS testing slots, it seems a little harsh for programs like Longwood and Wisconsin to require CS to be passed in order to be ranked in February. Is this an absolute policy, or just a recommendation? Requiring a CK score is one thing....

Any insight into whether these policies are recommended vs absolute? Or if they make exceptions?

Last edited:
Due to starting 3rd year clerkships somewhat off cycle for my Master's research, scheduling step 2 before December is impossible, and it seems it's also very difficult to find any CS spots at all in November, December or January. Actually from September to January, there are no spots available at any of the 5 CS testing centers.
You might consider signing up for their email list. You can select a block of time and indicate you're interested in rescheduling during that time. If a seat opens up, you apparently get emailed and can scramble to the website and try to snatch up the site.

If you visit the site frequently, you'll see that sometimes a spot opens up over the next week or so (cancellations?). If you can be flexible with your time and drop everything to attend, it might solve your problem.

Given the huge excess demand for CS testing slots, it seems a little harsh for programs like Longwood and Wisconsin to require CS to be passed in order to be ranked in February. Is this an absolute policy, or just a recommendation? Requiring a CK score is one thing....

Any insight into whether these policies are recommended vs absolute? Or if they make exceptions?

The easiest way to get a spot is to stalk the website. It took me about two days of checking every few hours to snag a spot mid-September at my ideal location last year. It's really not tough; there are reschedules and cancellations all the time. The majority of the places that require CS do REQUIRE it... on what basis would you expect an exception? It seems like you're saying you should get one because a cs spot is hard to come by... if that's the case, shouldn't everyone get an "exception"? (And thus it wouldn't be a requirement?) Not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to save you from having to explain to a PD why you're too cool to worry about CS :) Good luck on snagging an early spot, you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Given the huge excess demand for CS testing slots, it seems a little harsh for programs like Longwood and Wisconsin to require CS to be passed in order to be ranked in February.

Blame your medical school (who does owe you something) for not emphasizing the importance of scheduling this early, not the programs (who do not owe you anything) for only wanting to hire people that will clearly be allowed to start the jobs for which you are applying.

on what basis would you expect an exception? It seems like you're saying you should get one because a cs spot is hard to come by... if that's the case, shouldn't everyone get an "exception"? (And thus it wouldn't be a requirement?) Not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to save you from having to explain to a PD why you're too cool to worry about CS :) Good luck on snagging an early spot, you shouldn't have too much trouble.

I suppose since I started my third year clerkships last December due to research and won't be finishing them until this December, I'd hope that a residency director might be a little understanding if I'm not comfortable taking the test before I have all the clerkships under my belt.

I suppose since I started my third year clerkships last December due to research and won't be finishing them until this December, I'd hope that a residency director might be a little understanding if I'm not comfortable taking the test before I have all the clerkships under my belt.

If you started 3rd year 6 months late, then how is it that you're even able to apply to residency this year? That would mean you will have only done half of your 4th year by the time July 2011 rolls around, right?

If you started 3rd year 6 months late, then how is it that you're even able to apply to residency this year? That would mean you will have only done half of your 4th year by the time July 2011 rolls around, right?

My research counted as 4 months of electives, which isn't all that uncommon for dual degree programs. I didn't realize that my post would be so controversial. And much thanks to Notdeadyet for the good advice and reassurance.

My research counted as 4 months of electives, which isn't all that uncommon for dual degree programs. I didn't realize that my post would be so controversial. And much thanks to Notdeadyet for the good advice and reassurance.

It does seem harsh, I agree. However, I can tell you from experience that problems can happen when programs do not require it before the match. Our program had previously not required (not sure if that's changed) it to be completed until they started and, for various reasons, one of our residents had some difficulty starting on time. It really sucked for the rest us when it came to call and clinical duties. But I agree with the above statement that having your medical school insist on having it completed early would have been nice. My med school required us to have attempted it before January of our 4th year. I'm really glad they did otherwise I would have put it off as long as possible...;)

Blame your medical school (who does owe you something) for not emphasizing the importance of scheduling this early, not the programs (who do not owe you anything) for only wanting to hire people that will clearly be allowed to start the jobs for which you are applying.
Oh, in fairness, the large majority of residency programs don't require results of applicants' CS/CK prior to pulling the switch in February. Most of the ones I've read require a passing mark prior to matriculating, but few mention needing the results before ranking. If you look at the data, a large percentage of students still take their Step 2's in November and December so it can't be that limiting, since a Step 2 CS taken after November 6th can't be assured to make deadline.

The pressure is to take Step 2 early if you have a poor Step 1 and would like to reassure program directors when you apply. None of the program directors speaking to us mentioned needing results done prior to ranking. It's also not mentioned in Iserson's guide and the like.

If programs want to require having the results of a Step 2 CS prior to ranking, they're in the minority and I hope they put that up front and center in their application information pages. Otherwise they'll be turning away a fair number of otherwise qualified applicants. I'd be curious at the actual count of how many programs out there in Psychiatry are going to refuse to rank a very strong applicant because of pending results of an exam with an overall 97% pass rate.

Last edited:
However, I can tell you from experience that problems can happen when programs do not require it before the match. Our program had previously not required (not sure if that's changed) it to be completed until they started and, for various reasons, one of our residents had some difficulty starting on time. It really sucked for the rest us when it came to call and clinical duties. But I agree with the above statement that having your medical school insist on having it completed early would have been nice. My med school required us to have attempted it before January of our 4th year. I'm really glad they did otherwise I would have put it off as long as possible...;)
But if you attempted your Step 2 CS in December of your 4th year, the results wouldn't have been ready in time for the program ranking in February.

I think most medical schools either require or strongly recommend that students take them both prior to December 31st of 4th year. That way it allows students to retake the exam if they fail either one. I don't know of any schools that require or strongly recommend students to take them before October 31st.

I've looked at about 20 programs to apply to and only found one with the results-in-hand requirement (UCSF). And even they mention that with PD and office of GME approval, they'll still rank you. I'm very curious how many programs would actually refuse to rank the AOA, 240/260, top-of-their-class, good school applicant whose waiting on those CS results (not that that's me...).

Last edited:
Oh, in fairness, the large majority of residency programs do not require results of applicants' CS/CK prior to pulling the switch in February.

In psychiatry, this is still true. In more competitive specialties, it's becoming much less so. Ten percent of my graduating med school class went into ophthalmology (literally, 18 of them), so our entire program was skewed towards getting people into the most competitive specialties. We were encouraged to have all of Step 2 completed by September. Taking it by December was a graduation requirement.

In psychiatry, this is still true. In more competitive specialties, it's becoming much less so.
Ah. Sorry, I was just talking about Psychiatry. I have no idea of what's going on in other specialties. What was your Ophthalmology department serving at their club lunches, by the way? 10%?
We were encouraged to have all of Step 2 completed by September. Taking it by December was a graduation requirement.
Makes sense. Our school requires a December take as well. I can see a bigger push to taking the Step 2 earlier happening. Board scores rising, medical school graduation numbers rising far faster than residency slots, and (most importantly) the general baseline anxiety and fear culture of your average medical student...

I had a question regarding a lower score on step 2 ck than on step 1. As a USIMG I'm really concerned that my drop from 234 to 214 will jeopardize my chances at interviewing/matching in psychiatry programs. Do you guys have any thoughts or advice about this? Thanks!