Step 2 CK Without Surgery? Yay or Nay ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

divinemsm

Pseudo Intellectual
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
m.

Members don't see this ad.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I took step 2 without surgery. I just spent a little extra time on surgery during my studying. I did fine with this, but obviously I can't say if that would work for you. If you are a good test taker, and don't mind learning stuff on your own, you would probably do fine. The surgery questions on step 2, at least the ones I had, are much more general principles type questions. I used First Aid, Crush step 2, and Kaplan Qbank and had no surprises when I took the actual exam. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

dude-you have soo little time during the surgery rotation to study-you are so tired and busy. You could probably spend 2 or 3 whole days and study as much as you could in 6 weeks had you done the rotation. Just studying Trauma for 1 or 2 days. The rest of surgery is medicine-its pathology of GI diseases mostly and workups for the problems which is exactly what medicine is. The only diff is trauma/critical care patient control which can be read in 1-2days max.

On the exam I took, Surgery was probably the lowest yield of all the subjects. They don't test you on actual surgical principles (like surgical techniques, various sutures, knots, instruments, etc). They test you on medical management of surgical patients. For general surgery, it pretty much is the same thing as GI in IM. I would spend a little extra time on Trauma, Ortho, Urology, and Vascular surgery, but FA, Crush, Q-book/bank, and more than adequate in those areas.