Step 2 CS and CK Before Rank List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_Nick_Riviera

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I think I'm a little late in the game, but I am planning on taking Step 2 CK this month (Jan) and have Step 2 CS scheduled in April. I have not had any programs inquire about Step 2 scores during the interview process. My question is, are either of these two test results required before the rank process by programs, and what will happen if I do not have my CK or CS results back by rank time in Feb? I realize the Step 2 scores could impact an applicant positively or negatively or not at all, but my question is what if the scores aren't back in? My Step 1 scores are well above average and would not prompt concern that I am going to fail.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the link. I wish I had read it about 6 months ago. Does anyone know of any other programs that are not ranking students if they do not have CS and CK passed by rank time for this year? The exam is not set up to accomodate testing and returning results for every U.S. medical student before mid-Feb, so is it realistic for programs to start requiring this? Anybody else in my situation?

P.S. Sorry to the General whose Avatar I seem to have hijacked. I guess great minds think alike.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the link. I wish I had read it about 6 months ago. Does anyone know of any other programs that are not ranking students if they do not have CS and CK passed by rank time for this year? The exam is not set up to accomodate testing and returning results for every U.S. medical student before mid-Feb, so is it realistic for programs to start requiring this? Anybody else in my situation?

P.S. Sorry to the General whose Avatar I seem to have hijacked. I guess great minds think alike.

I started this, in fact it's how I got on SDN in the first place. As I said, I backed off a bit to "strongly recommended". Interstingly, it came up on the Council of EM Residency Directors (CORD) list-server today. Someone is going to keep count of replies. I'll post them here when reported.

Please do. That would be helpful!

OK, this from the PD at Temple who collected the responses:

Group,
Thanks for your responses. It appears that no one has a true "requirement" that they receive step 2 scores out of about 30 responses. Many people stated that they would prefer to see them in people with lower end step 1 scores, as they are in danger of failing step 2 and not being able to graduate or start residency. People's idea of a "low" step 1 score varied widely.
This information will be helpful for a few of my very frightened medical students.
Thanks again,
J

This seems about right to me. If a candidate had low scores on step 1 (for my invitation pool), I'd really like to see the CK or CE. If there were any statements about weak com skills, I'd really like to see the CS or PE.
BKN

I started this, in fact it's how I got on SDN in the first place. As I said, I backed off a bit to "strongly recommended". Interstingly, it came up on the Council of EM Residency Directors (CORD) list-server today. Someone is going to keep count of replies. I'll post them here when reported.

So I am responsible for BKN coming to SDN....

You're welcome everyone! :laugh: