Step 2 CS Date, Before Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adaptation1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize step 2 cs was such a pain to schedule. My date is now January 15th, and programs will not have my results before they finalize the rank list. I understand that a few programs require its score to rank, others prefer it.

Looking at the score release dates, I see that November to December tests begin score release in February 4th and end score release February 25th. Meaning, if I take the test in this time frame, programs may more or may not see my results in time.

Should I stalk the nbme site, try to reschedule and get a date within this range, or will it make no difference at this point?

Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I mean...I'm not 100% sure on your question. If you can snag an earlier date and have your passing score back before rank lists are due, that will obviously help you at programs that require a passing score.

Reactions: 1 users
Use the check4change browser extension and just refresh the registration page until it alarms and a new spot is available. Most people can get one in their preferred date range within a days/weeks of checking.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the answers everyone. I appreciate it. :=|:-): To be honest, I don't really know what I was asking either.

I think I was afraid that I would spend weeks refreshing the NBME website, finally get a earlier date, only to get my scored released Feb 23rd, or the tail end of the release date. By which time the rank lists were already released.

But I setup check4change this morning. Was about to doze off for my afternoon nap, only to hear "ch..ch...ch..changes!" coming from my comp. And immediately got a date for Dec 12.

Cool beans. :bear:

Reactions: 1 user
For SDNer's future reference:

If you are looking to schedule an earlier step 2cs date but cannot find a spot, do not fret.

For the past few weeks, I relied on the NBME email updates for open spots. I did not receive many emails. The ones that I did follow up on were taken within minutes. My impression was that spots were scarce, getting one unlikely.

Not true. These spots are constantly opening up.

Per suggestion above, I added check4change to firefox today. I opened 8 windows and had them auto-refresh every second, checking for changes at the 4 locations for 2 months.

At least 8+ spots opened up just today. People are dropping them all the time. No joke. You can definitely get one using this browser add-on!

Best of luck.

:=|:-):

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Anybody else going into Psych who has an experience taking Step 2 CS in early January? Or snagging an earlier spot with check4change? I am currently stalking the scheduling website with the widget, but I don't even have my permit yet because I'm a *******.

The sense I got from talking to various people in my own dept of psychiatry and our office of the dean was that it comes down to how concerned programs might be that you won't pass. I am otherwise a no red flag applicant (one low pass in peds and a weird comment to the tune of "average communication skills" from a surgeon on my MSPE, but my other steps and grades are on the high end for psychiatry).