Step 2 CS failure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vomeronasal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Soon-to-be-MS4 here. I recently took Step 2 CS and am quite concerned that I failed it, so I am just trying to come up with contingency plans for if the worst happens. Everyone says that "oh you have nothing to worry about" but I severely underprepared for this test and have a pretty good sense of how poorly I did. I have been highly considering anesthesiology vs. general pediatrics.

I will get my score back on June 28th: if I find out I fail, are my hopes for pediatrics dead? Should I just continue with my application cycle and hope for the best? Or should I instead take a year off as soon as I find out to do research, volunteer, and have a pass on Step 2 CS? I have a >260 Step 1, honors in every clinical rotation including pediatrics, and a smattering of research already.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The neuroticism is strong in this one.

In the unlikely event that you failed, just retake it. The rest of your app will keep you solidly afloat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Soon-to-be-MS4 here. I recently took Step 2 CS and am quite concerned that I failed it, so I am just trying to come up with contingency plans for if the worst happens. Everyone says that "oh you have nothing to worry about" but I severely underprepared for this test and have a pretty good sense of how poorly I did.

I have been debating between applying to a surgical subspecialty with the eventual hope of specializing in pediatrics versus just applying to general pediatrics. I was planning to do my first 2 rotations in the surgical subspecialty and my next 2 in pediatrics, after which ERAS opens.

I will get my score back on June 28th: if I find out I fail, are my hopes for pediatrics dead? Should I just continue with my application cycle and hope for the best? Or should I instead take a year off as soon as I find out to do research, volunteer, and have a pass on Step 2 CS? I have a >260 Step 1, honors in every clinical rotation including pediatrics, and a smattering of research already.

Pretty much everyone leaves that test remembering all the little things they missed and thinking they failed. 95%+ people pass it just fine.

Just chill out and keep going as planned.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't worry until after you get your score. I prepared for two days before the test and there were no issues with passing. Reading through the threads on SDN about CS will make you think you failed, but the vast majority pass. Don't worry about a contingency plan just yet.

Hello,

Soon-to-be-MS4 here. I recently took Step 2 CS and am quite concerned that I failed it, so I am just trying to come up with contingency plans for if the worst happens. Everyone says that "oh you have nothing to worry about" but I severely underprepared for this test and have a pretty good sense of how poorly I did. I have been highly considering anesthesiology vs. general pediatrics.

I took my test in July, also freaking out about possibly failing. What makes you think you failed?

Hello,

I legitimately don't know if you're a troll or a jerk face….

I legitimately don't know if you're a troll or a jerk face….
Neither, actually (at least I hope I'm not a jerk). In reality I'm just a *******... I passed CS and came nowhere close to failing o_O Hopefully this thread serves as a reminder to not stress out about the results of this godforsaken test.

Reactions: 3 users
everyone walks out feeling like they failed...but in reality most pass.