Step 2 CS in November Too Late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VLSB2050

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I will be applying to the 2019 match and am a little bit stressed out regarding my step 2 cs date. I did not know how slow it will take for my step 2 cs score to be reported when I originally registered for the exam. It turns out, if I take CS in November, my score will be reported between January 30th-February 19th. Rank lists are due February 20th, 2019. Would my chances of matching be affected as a result of this? At the very worst, my score will be reported right before the deadline for rank list submission. I plan to apply to only programs in Southern California.

I think I am a pretty competitive applicant from a MD state school in California, step 1 >230, good ECs and LORs, have not gotten back step 2ck score yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I will be applying to the 2019 match and am a little bit stressed out regarding my step 2 cs date. I did not know how slow it will take for my step 2 cs score to be reported when I originally registered for the exam. It turns out, if I take CS in November, my score will be reported between January 30th-February 19th. Rank lists are due February 20th, 2019. Would my chances of matching be affected as a result of this? At the very worst, my score will be reported right before the deadline for rank list submission. I plan to apply to only programs in Southern California.

I think I am a pretty competitive applicant from a MD state school in California, step 1 >230, good ECs and LORs, have not gotten back step 2ck score yet..

You should be fine. Unless you're applying to top 5 programs in Southern Cal where they can pick a similiar candidate who does have their CS score in hand.

Most programs assume that US students will pass CS. Took mine in late November and it was not a problem. I know 2 people in my class who matched (IM/EM) without CS, but most programs require it to rank you.