Late letter for fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PickleRick19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, fellowship application question here. I'm applying to sports med fellowships this cycle, and ERAS opens to programs next Wednesday (July 21st). The issue is, one of my letters of rec still isn't in yet. It's my sports med letter. I requested it far in advance and have sent reminders, but at this point there isn't much I can do about it. It will be late since it takes EFDO up to 7 days to release it once it's uploaded. With residency apps this didn't seem to matter as much. With sports med fellowship and limited interview days/spots, how much could not having this letter in hurt me? Will PDs even look at my app without that letter?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think programs will look at it until it's "complete", but I also don't think many programs are going to look before this month ends. Idk for sure though

Get it in soon but don't think you are set up for failure right now (perhaps start thinking about back up letters if possible as an emergency option). Most fellowships do not start looking until mid-August. Fellowship typically isn't like residency where getting everything in on the first day is pseudo-required.

mine is stuck in the same way. hopefully that does not matter.