• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Step 2 CS question

Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
  1. Attending Physician
I have a question for those that have taken the exam and gotten their results. My school gave us a practice in-house exam and I was told I put down too many tests to order. I followed the basic outline in FA on ordering tests. I did not order MRI for no reason, etc. But, I did order CBC and electrolytes. Usually around 4 or 5 things per patient. Very similar to the examples they provide.

What should I do on CS? Order the tests or do not order.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
About the Ads

usmleswot

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2012
  1. Medical Student
Given the amount of time that you'll have, you honestly don't have the time to think about whether or not this is absolutely essential. The basic work up is a give in. CBC, ESR, CRP, TSH + (B-hCG if female and reproductive age group).

Then think about what the case is. Do I need an LFT? RFT? Lipid profile? STI work up?

Then based on the system involved:
Respiratory system: +Chest Xray
Abdomen: +USG Abdomen and Pelvis
Neuro: MRI Brain/CT Head
CVS: ECG, ECHO

I would end up doing something like this and wonder whether I needed anything more, which I mostly didn't and I did pretty well on the ICE portion of my test and this is considering I left most of my encounters thinking "What just happened?" Hope this helps! Good luck.

Upvote 0
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.