Step 2 CS question

Discussion in 'Step II' started by J DUB, Aug 8, 2015.

1. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have a question for those that have taken the exam and gotten their results. My school gave us a practice in-house exam and I was told I put down too many tests to order. I followed the basic outline in FA on ordering tests. I did not order MRI for no reason, etc. But, I did order CBC and electrolytes. Usually around 4 or 5 things per patient. Very similar to the examples they provide.

What should I do on CS? Order the tests or do not order.

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. leonides300

MDApps:
    MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Hi,

does anybody know any hotel in atlanta where students come little bit early and prepare for that exam together? i heard its very helpful doing preparation that way.

3. Cytarabine

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I tended to land somewhere between what was actually clinically correct and what was recommended in first aid, but far far more toward the clinically correct side. First aid recommends some really stupid chit.

4. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yeah, I think I ordered it all in some cases. I think I just need to do the first initial workup for a first time visit for a problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. usmleswot

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Given the amount of time that you'll have, you honestly don't have the time to think about whether or not this is absolutely essential. The basic work up is a give in. CBC, ESR, CRP, TSH + (B-hCG if female and reproductive age group).

Then think about what the case is. Do I need an LFT? RFT? Lipid profile? STI work up?

Then based on the system involved:
    Respiratory system: +Chest Xray
    Abdomen: +USG Abdomen and Pelvis
    Neuro: MRI Brain/CT Head
    CVS: ECG, ECHO

I would end up doing something like this and wonder whether I needed anything more, which I mostly didn't and I did pretty well on the ICE portion of my test and this is considering I left most of my encounters thinking "What just happened?" Hope this helps! Good luck.