Step 2 CS Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanelo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Crappy &#%@*%
2. Completely useless to most of us US graduates
3. Most expensive **** I've ever had to pay

4. WHY 2005??? +pissed+

Whew!!! This felt good....

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, it's required of us IMGs. I agree that it is useless. I thought clinical rotations was where we demonstrated our skill and history and physical taking. Besides, is it so impossible for attendings and residents to assess our English proficiency? I feel it's just an unnecessary added stress. If you can pass clinical rotations, then I think that means we have demonstrated our proficiency.

I wonder what would happen if all med students banded together and refused to take the CS...

Members don't see this ad :)
JKP said:
I wonder what would happen if all med students banded together and refused to take the CS...

Too bad we did start this earlier. It actually is a good idea. They would have had to take notice. Just too late now. Already took the exam.

do it next year! that way it will leave a bunch of open spots in the match for ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maqsur said:
Unfortunately, it's required of us IMGs. I agree that it is useless. I thought clinical rotations was where we demonstrated our skill and history and physical taking. Besides, is it so impossible for attendings and residents to assess our English proficiency? I feel it's just an unnecessary added stress. If you can pass clinical rotations, then I think that means we have demonstrated our proficiency.

I understand the purpose of the exam for IMG's. Most of them dont do rotations in the States and they have to assess their skills somehow.

BUT, we spend whole 4 years reading English, Taking tests in English, dealing with patients everyday in LCME accredited schools... which should be more than enough. Would our schools graduate us if we didnt meet some basic standards? I certainly dont think so.

This test is only for the money they are stealing from us every year. Period.

:confused:

JKP said:

not sure if it's indeed going to happen, but i've heard that many of the medstudents in the harvard system are planning on boycotting the CS...
truth or not, we'll find out i guess...,

I am very annoyed about that test. At least half of the SP's had complicated problems (i.e. social) which took away time from doing the physical exam.

Oh, and gotta love the 1000 dollar sandwiches!!

My assessment: HATED IT!!!

Did I mention that I hated that test?

I don't feel good about it at all. I just hope that I passed and can put it behind me for good.

How do you feel about the fact that they told us in the intro that they would be using it for research purposes. Don't you think that warrants some kind of discount? Or make it FREE? I thought they used past classes for research, and they didn't have to pay.

caedmon said:
How do you feel about the fact that they told us in the intro that they would be using it for research purposes. Don't you think that warrants some kind of discount? Or make it FREE? I thought they used past classes for research, and they didn't have to pay.

What?? :eek: Research???? :eek: :eek:

What do you think would happen if I slap that guy's face when he tells me I had to spend all that money just so that de could "research"... ?

Members don't see this ad :)
maqsur said:

don't img's have to take the toefl exam? isn't that en english proficiency exam? or am i wrong.......

supertigger said:
don't img's have to take the toefl exam? isn't that en english proficiency exam? or am i wrong.......

It IS an english proficiency test..

SLUsagar said:
not sure if it's indeed going to happen, but i've heard that many of the medstudents in the harvard system are planning on boycotting the CS...
truth or not, we'll find out i guess...,

that's probably because their clinical training is subpar.

ARRGGH! what a ripoff.

how different is the exam from OSCE? did you use anything to study for it? did you ask every patient for a rectal card? (when i was studying for osce a friend of mine had a book that said that if you ask for a rectal exam they give you a card with results (obviously i guess) so we were considering asking for a rectal card of every person, just for fun... then it turned out that they dont do it with cards at all or with exam ;)

i hope the testing people that came up with this overpriced ridiculousness all get some nasty std

irrka said:
i hope the testing people that came up with this overpriced ridiculousness all get some nasty std

with all the money they are making, they can easily buy their way out of any std...

<begin rant>
I just finished this exam (LA center). Como se dice PISSED OFF en espanol (enojado?)? What a joke this exam is! First of all- the cases are pretty contrived and the "physical exam" will basically be limited to CV, pulm, abd... oh yeah, bust out a cranial nerve exam if you're feeling slick. Nevertheless, I felt like I just got a full fisted rectal! There's MAJOR variation between the SPs: some completely give it up with the first "open ended question" while others were waiting for some kind of key-word before they give up the goods ('cuz patients do that all the time... yeah right). Of all the encounters, I almost always walked out of there thinking there's something else I could have done, or worse- an SP that's got nothing wrong with him and you're wondering "what the F%$ is this M^$#F%$^er here for?!" LAME! In retrospect, they could definitely set the scenario better- hey, if you want to screen my "preventative medicine" H&P, then just say so and don't let me waste 10 minutes trying to figure out what the hell I'm supposed to be doing! Maybe I should be stressed about passing? Maybe so, hell- I dunno, but I have seen some pretty crappy students (ie: worse than me) pass this with no worries. The bar must be pretty low! <end rant>

Seriously, there's just no way this exam can continue to be viable. FMGs have been doing it forever because it's geared towards screening cultural awareness much more than clinical acumen. When they tried to retool the exam to fit students who are already from accredited US institutions, they opened up pandora's box. If they D/C the exam next year (as they should), sign me up for a class action lawsuit to get my money back!!

Jones: pass
Smith: pass
McDonald: pass
Reynolds: pass
Nguygen: fail
Xuxisu: fail
Al-Alibabdaresh: fail
Cambell: pass...
:smuggrin:

Just got my Step CS results (passed thankx god) from Chicago, taken Jan 24th. My chicago experience wasn't too too bad...
only hilarious and odd thing was riding up the elevator to the exam floor with several other ms4's taking it, WITH a bunch of other people in the elevator too...
paranoid as i am, i desided NOT to join the ranting from the other ms4's about just how freaking ******ed the exam was etc etc etc...., until I knew exact what floor those "other" people in the elevator were getting off at. Oddly enough, nearly all of "them" got off on the same floor as I/we did, and ended up being in the actual exam!!!!!

Lesson: talk a BUNCh of trash about the exam (and BE SURE that you do), except don't do it anywhere near the actual exam site.

Received my Step 2 CS score today. I PASSED!! I'm so glad I wouldn't have to spend more money on this stupid test.

DoctorG said:
Just got my score today as well. Thank God.

How long is it taking to get CS scores now? Just curious... Supposed to take 6 weeks... is that about right?

spacetygrss said:
I am very annoyed about that test. At least half of the SP's had complicated problems (i.e. social) which took away time from doing the physical exam.

Oh, and gotta love the 1000 dollar sandwiches!!

My assessment: HATED IT!!!

I got bad diarrhea from those freaking sandwiches. Or maybe it was the cheap ass potato salad. I think the center staff ate the majority of the lunch and only left a tiny portion for the 50 odd examinees.

ntxawmx said:
How long is it taking to get CS scores now? Just curious... Supposed to take 6 weeks... is that about right?

It took exactly 7 weeks for me and I took the test on January 14.

ntxawmx said:

7 WKS + 2 DAYS. Took the test on Jan 15th

took mine feb 10th and just got my results yesterday.

my problem with SPs is that they arent given enough knowledge to actually mimic any findings on their physical exam. after the 1st encounter, i literally just breezed thru any P.E. to have more time for the write ups. at least my osce and other SP encounters in school had people who at least did a decent acting job.

how's this for irony? one of my SP was a foreigner who barely spoke english. super thick accent that i barely understood.

had one classmate who had a SP who he had gotten into an altercation perviously with at the post office. had to do all sorts of documentation and other stuff.

ah, what a great idea--$1000 exam!

I took mine on Feb 28 and got the results (by mail) yesterday. Krkuhl - I think we're classmates. I got that email, too. WAY WAY WAY funny!

Count me in for the lawsuit! $1200 actual losses and about $150k for emotional suffering! If enough of us get on the bandwagon, maybe we could put them out of business! :laugh:

I love dropping a bill, flying on my own dime, putting myself up in a hotel, and then paying for a taxi to take me to the test site so I can diagnose Kramer with gonnorhea.

I don't know what everyone is crying about. :laugh: