Step 2: Have I made a horrible mistake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eleazar82

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I wanted to ask the personal opinion of the people that have taken Step 2 already. I'm currently an MS-III planning on applying to ophthalmology. I studied hard for Step 1 and performed very strongly. However, despite the axiom, "If you did well on Step 1, then don't take Step 2 early," I couldn't help but think that two strong USMLE scores on a residency application would be better than one. So, I signed up to take Step 2 in the 3-month period from July 1 to September 30. I haven't gotten an exact date yet. But, since mailing off the first part of the application yesterday, I've started to have some anxiety. So--

Did I make a mistake in signing up to take Step 2 early?
Is there anything I can do to make another strong performance more assured?
How much do I need to study for Step 2 to do "very well?"

My last rotation is internal medicine (April 1 - June 24).

I plan on doing all the questions in the Q-bank. I also have First Aid for Step 2. Is this a winning combination?

I'm a little anxious! Anyone out there that can allay my fears? :D

Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i know optho is pretty competitive and it may benefit you to take step 2 early. i did pretty well on step 1, took step 2 in october and improved my score by 20 points. I studied for ten days (during an off period) using qbank, secrets (a true GEM), and FA. My classmates who took it early (ie, studied some, unlike the ones taking it now) all at least equalled and MOST improved their scores by 10-20 points compared with their step 1. In the ERAS application you do not have to automatically retransmit your board scores to the programs you apply to, so you have the option of holding them back until after match day if you are disappointed with the results. I think optho has its own match, so i'm not sure if the same rules apply. i would say relax, study hard for a week or two, and you will probably be just fine. good luck.

agreed w/above...most likely if you study (or really just REVIEW) for 2 weeks or so you'll destroy the exam.
BUT, it's imp. to note that even though you've signedup for a particular period, you can always just call the step 2 folks and delay the period until later...(i did this in my procrastinating ways).

hope that helps

Eleazar82 said:
Hey all,

I wanted to ask the personal opinion of the people that have taken Step 2 already. I'm currently an MS-III planning on applying to ophthalmology. I studied hard for Step 1 and performed very strongly. However, despite the axiom, "If you did well on Step 1, then don't take Step 2 early," I couldn't help but think that two strong USMLE scores on a residency application would be better than one. So, I signed up to take Step 2 in the 3-month period from July 1 to September 30. I haven't gotten an exact date yet. But, since mailing off the first part of the application yesterday, I've started to have some anxiety. So--
QUOTE]

It depends on how strong the rest of your application is. I have a friend who has a 3.1 GPA at a top 25 med school, but he scored >250 on both step 1 and step 2 which in many ways would erase a program's doubt that he didn't learn the important things during med school. It also tells them that he won't be a liability when taking the Optho boards. He ended up matching at a good program, and having a strong step 2 probably helped him.

On the other hand, if you think you were lucky on step one and have doubts about scoring well on step 2, then just reschedule your test for later and make sure to check the box on ERAS that prevents your step 2 score from being automatically retransmitted. Best of luck

Eleazar82 said:
Hey all,

Did I make a mistake in signing up to take Step 2 early?
Is there anything I can do to make another strong performance more assured?
How much do I need to study for Step 2 to do "very well?"

My last rotation is internal medicine (April 1 - June 24).

I plan on doing all the questions in the Q-bank. I also have First Aid for Step 2. Is this a winning combination?

I'm a little anxious! Anyone out there that can allay my fears? :D

Many thanks!

Ophth is the BEST !!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: