Score mistake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

softball2344

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of scoring errors occurring on step 1? Got my score back last week and did ~20 points higher than my best practice exam, I am now paranoid it was a mistake

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's pretty rare but this does happen sometimes, there are threads if you search the Step 1 forum. The NBME does a re-check of scores on July 1st every year to adjust for changes in student performance over time, throw out bad questions, increase weight of good questions in their algorithm, etc. Sometimes they find a mistake and notify the student via email in mid-July.

I remember one thread where a guy went from like 240 -> 220 and was pissed because he had already set up aways for a surgical specialty.

It's pretty rare but this does happen sometimes, there are threads if you search the Step 1 forum. The NBME does a re-check of scores on July 1st every year to adjust for changes in student performance over time, throw out bad questions, increase weight of good questions in their algorithm, etc. Sometimes they find a mistake and notify the student via email in mid-July.

I remember one thread where a guy went from like 240 -> 220 and was pissed because he had already set up aways for a surgical specialty.
gosh don't wan't to wait until July was this step 1? :(
From the USMLE website - "To date, the score recheck process has not resulted in a score change" makes me feel a little better at least..

Eh their website explicitly says a score recheck has never resulted in a score change. Consider me doubtful this would actually happen.

Reactions: 3 users
gosh don't wan't to wait until July was this step 1? :(
From the USMLE website - "To date, the score recheck process has not resulted in a score change" makes me feel a little better at least..

The "score re-check process" is where you ask them to manually recheck it though, different from their internal evaluation process. I'll see if I can find the thread...

Edit found it:
Wtf score change??

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone ever heard of scoring errors occurring on step 1? Got my score back last week and did ~20 points higher than my best practice exam, I am now paranoid it was a mistake
How did you feel coming out of the exam/approximate # of mistakes you counted? It could just be that you had a fantastic day! :)

How did you feel coming out of the exam/approximate # of mistakes you counted? It could just be that you had a fantastic day! :)
Felt TERRIBLE
Counted >20 I definitely got wrong, many of which were stupid mistakes I overthought. Overall I thought the exam content was very fair though (vast majority of content in FA) I just felt like I was blanking the whole time
These feelings seem to be pretty normal though if you search the threads

It's far more likely that it's a valid score than a mistake. Take the W.

Reactions: 1 user