Step 2 or Away Rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txophtho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
do away rotations, no one will ask for your step 2. you want to have your app submitted by mid august (with lor's)

No one cares about STEP 2 in ophthalmology circles. You have a good STEP 1, but if you are not coming from a top 50 US medical school it may be difficult to get looked at by top programs. I would do away rotations and work hard to leave a good impression.

Members don't see this ad :)
Essentially agree with the others, don't worry about Step 2. You have an above average Step 1, Step 2 is not going to come back in time to have a signficant impact on your app. I don't think the purpose of an away rotation is to get a big name letter. Away rotations usually do not give the applicant enough time with the big names. They are going to be writing a letter after working with you for a week at the most. It shows in the letters, believe me. PDs would rather see a letter from someone who has really gotten to know the applicant and that is difficult in an away elective in July and August. You need that letter in hand in late August, it's just not enough time to develop a good relationship.

I would do an away rotation to be helpful for matching at that specific program. If we liked a student who rotated with us, they will automatically move up the list. That said there can be downside to an away as well. If you show up and hold up the wall, constantly text on your phone, etc you will move down.

Take home message?? People STOP constanly texting on your phone! your in medical school now! sorry