1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

step 2 required before interview?

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by danny_husk, Mar 26, 2004.

1. danny_husk

danny_husk Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Is it true that some programs require step 2 scores before interviews are offered? I've looked on many of the program's web sites and it seems that with most it is listed as optional but some say it's required.

I was planning on taking it late (feb-march) but i might rethink that if it will prevent me from being considered at some programs.

any info would be appreciated.

thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I received 20 itnerview offers, (mostly east coast and midwest) and had not even registered for Step 2.

Q, DO

4. FoughtFyr

FoughtFyr SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I applied to 31 and got 27 interview offers (all in the Midwest). Several programs asked about the the scores, but seemed unfazed when told I was taking it late in my fourth year.

- H

5. NinerNiner999

NinerNiner999 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If step one is good, wait for step II - you will still get interviews. If step I is bad, take step II early and rock it - you will still get interviews. Most places require Step II to match (i.e. recieve scores by January or February when they make their rank lists), but don't require it for application.

6. FoughtFyr

Post Doc
    FYI - I still haven't released my Step II scores. No one asked before ROLs were due. I interviewed at 10 midwestern programs - none of them "required" the scores to match...

And I got my #1!

- H

7. NinerNiner999

NinerNiner999 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Oh - let me correct myself. Most places WANT step II scores if they are available to help make their rank lists.

Congrats on Mayo!

8. FoughtFyr

Post Doc
    Hey Niner, congrats to you too!

Not trying to argue with you, just wanted the info on the board for posterity. Some folks, like me, might have, shall we say, underperformed (yes, I passed) on Step II. I just didn't want anyone to freak out if this happens to them.

I think we would both agree on a bit of advice to MS3s - DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY SEND YOUR STEP II SCORES WITH ERAS! Check the box to send them later. If you perform as well as expected, send them. If not, cower and hide (like me)! It will still work out o.k.

- H

9. The White Coat Investor

The White Coat Investor AKA ActiveDutyMD
    Physician Partner Organization 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No.

10. MS05'

MS05' Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm setting up my fourth year schedule now and am faced with the dilemma of when to take Step II (the written version). I'm taking the clinical one early in August so that's taken care of.

My question regarding step II is how late can I take it? As I have my 4th year schedule set now, I'd be taking it in early December, but was recently told by a friend that I should consider taking it another month because most programs don't interview the last two weeks of December and I should use the first two weeks of the month to interview. So, if that's the case, I'd have to push Step II back to late March/April.

I have no problem with that, but am concerned that during interviews the issue that I'm taking it that late may come up and count against me somehow. My step I scores is in the upper 220's...what should I do?

11. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

The only place I know of that requires Step II is SUNY-Brooklyn.

If you've seen other places that say it's required, that seems pretty self-explanatory.

12. Hercules

Hercules Son of Zeus
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So we have established that most programs don't require step II to interview, and (apparently from your post) quite a few don't even require it to rank you. This is good news to me, b/c I'm comfortable with my Step I and would like to wait until about March to take Step II if it won't hurt me.

13. Arcan57

Arcan57 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I took Step 2 in very late January and interviewed at SUNY-Downstate before that. I ended up matching at Cinci, but didn't even get interviews in California and Denver so that might have made a difference for them?

14. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Then, as I feel about most of SUNY-Downstate, they must be FOS.