Step 2 Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gamma123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some programs list step 2 as a requirement for interviews on FREIDA. Has taking step 2 early become more important to rad onc programs in the past couple years? Or would it be okay to focus on research and aways and delay taking it until after September? My step 1 score is in the 240's.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Some programs list step 2 as a requirement for interviews on FREIDA. Has taking step 2 early become more important to rad onc programs in the past couple years? Or would it be okay to focus on research and aways and delay taking it until after September? My step 1 score is in the 240's.
I think that is fairly common to wait until after aways to do step 2, especially if you don't have a lower step 1. If there is no time in your schedule between end of 2nd year and beginning of 3rd I would recommend scheduling it after aways but before interviews. Take a look at the score release timeline and see if it is feasible in your schedule to have the score back by November and you can send it to programs. That is my opinion, some may say it doesn't matter at all.

Reactions: 1 user
No one really cares if you don't take Step 2 until after apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
i looked at frieda and i can't seem to find the data on there that specifies who wants a step 2 score
Where can I find that information?

Most schools don't have the information listed. If they filled out the general information section, you'll see that some (like University of Michigan) say that they require Step 2 for interview consideration. I'm not sure how accurate that information is though.

Most schools don't have the information listed. If they filled out the general information section, you'll see that some (like University of Michigan) say that they require Step 2 for interview consideration. I'm not sure how accurate that information is though.

Took step 2 ck late December; interviewed at Michigan in early December. I don't believe Freida is accurate with regards to requirements (at least for rad Onc).

Reactions: 3 users
I would say many if not most applications have STEP 2 score, but it is not required as far as I know. As long as you have a decent Step 1 I don't think anyone would wonder why you didn't have STEP2 score. However a higher STEP2 score would be favorable, while a low STEP2 score could hurt you.. Kinda a double jeopardy..

I would say many if not most applications have STEP 2 score, but it is not required as far as I know. As long as you have a decent Step 1 I don't think anyone would wonder why you didn't have STEP2 score. However a higher STEP2 score would be favorable, while a low STEP2 score could hurt you.. Kinda a double jeopardy..

Would you say most have it available before they submit their ERAS application in September?

I don't think it makes much of a difference for people with adequate Step 1 scores, and it's probably of questionable benefit to "make up" for a sub-par performance, but one good option exists: take CK in late August, and turn your applications in when ERAS opens in mid-September.

At that point, your CK score won't be available so you can send out your USMLE transcript without worries. Once you get your score back in late September, you can decide if you want to re-release your USMLE transcript, including CK.

Programs will typically download applications from ERAS multiple times and applicants are able to login to see who has fetched their latest data. If a program you haven't heard from hasn't retrieved your latest info, you can send the program coordinator (not director) a friendly email saying your scores have been updated.

This allows the applicant to control what info the program sees. I pursued this route and while I don't think it made a bit of difference in my match outcome, it did give me a sense of security knowing I could either demonstrate improved performance or hold it back if I had done poorly.

I don't think it makes much of a difference for people with adequate Step 1 scores, and it's probably of questionable benefit to "make up" for a sub-par performance, but one good option exists: take CK in late August, and turn your applications in when ERAS opens in mid-September.

At that point, your CK score won't be available so you can send out your USMLE transcript without worries. Once you get your score back in late September, you can decide if you want to re-release your USMLE transcript, including CK.

Programs will typically download applications from ERAS multiple times and applicants are able to login to see who has fetched their latest data. If a program you haven't heard from hasn't retrieved your latest info, you can send the program coordinator (not director) a friendly email saying your scores have been updated.

This allows the applicant to control what info the program sees. I pursued this route and while I don't think it made a bit of difference in my match outcome, it did give me a sense of security knowing I could either demonstrate improved performance or hold it back if I had done poorly.
Great advice, thanks!