Step 2 timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TomatoMan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard differing opinions on this subject, but am looking for some input from those who have already interviewed for RadOnc positions. Is it still possible to delay step 2 until Dec/Jan/Feb if you have a good step 1 score & are concerned about receiving a lower step 2 score? Did anyone personally do this & if so, was it mentioned in interviews?

Do some programs require a step 2 score b/f inviting interviewees? Some in my student affairs office have said this, but I have a suspicion that they are trying to get us to take step 2 early for other reasons.

Also, no need for the "step 2 is so easy, everybody does better" & the "there's no time to study for step 2 during interview season" replies. I know that; I'm just looking to see if anyone has done this?

Thx.

Members don't see this ad.

there are a lot of other posts which have addressed this. just do a search. in the meantime, i think everone is preoccupied till thursday so wait till after then.

Is it still possible to delay step 2 until Dec/Jan/Feb if you have a good step 1 score & are concerned about receiving a lower step 2 score?

Yes, I didn't take Step 2 until April.

Did anyone personally do this & if so, was it mentioned in interviews?

It was not even brought up once.

Do some programs require a step 2 score b/f inviting interviewees?

Technically speaking a few programs do (maybe 2% of all programs). However, this is very weakly enforced since many people delay Step 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Echo Gfunk6. If you nailed Step 1, congrats, reward yourself & delay step 2 'til spring. Or appease your med school & take it in Nov/Dec--the scores won't be on your ERAS, and it won't get brought up at an interview.

Step 2 never came up for me in any of my Rad Onc interviews, and only in passing in my Prelim/TY interviews.

I took Step 2 in late Dec and did very well, so I e-mailed some of the programs in January after all my interviews to "update my application" with my score (as well as releasing it on ERAS). It was a good excuse to keep in contact with the programs I was interested in. If you don't do well, then you don't have to send them an e-mail.

Step II is late as possible, so you don't get bogged down with it during applications, interviews, sub-I, etc. If your school bothers you a lot, then take it whenever you have to.

Now, as far as Step III, take that bugger ASAP. I did not take that until end of PGY-2. What a stupid idea! I had to take vacation days, had to study stuff I did not know anything about anymore, and just be bothered with it. All I had to do was pass, I should have taken it the week I started internship. And, it kept me from moonlighting, which has become quite an easy way to make some scratch.

S

Actually it may really helpful if you have the score back for the interviews.

I have heard differing opinions on this subject, but am looking for some input from those who have already interviewed for RadOnc positions. Is it still possible to delay step 2 until Dec/Jan/Feb if you have a good step 1 score & are concerned about receiving a lower step 2 score? Did anyone personally do this & if so, was it mentioned in interviews?

Do some programs require a step 2 score b/f inviting interviewees? Some in my student affairs office have said this, but I have a suspicion that they are trying to get us to take step 2 early for other reasons.

Also, no need for the "step 2 is so easy, everybody does better" & the "there's no time to study for step 2 during interview season" replies. I know that; I'm just looking to see if anyone has done this?

Thx.

Actually it may really helpful if you have the score back for the interviews.

I think the idea is that yes, it may be helpful for you, but only if you are willing to put in the effort to get a really stellar score on it. If you did well on step I, it just isn't necessary. I was glad to have time to strengthen other parts of my application and not worry about studying for step II. On the other hand, if your step I wasn't what you were hoping for, than it will be a good idea to have a nice step II score to make up for it.

Can a low Step 2 score received after the match hurt in the future? If we choose to send out a fellowship applications? Hollman pathway application? Grant application? I can't imagine it would affect job applications. Anything I haven't thought of?

I'm planning on taking it cold this month, so I probably won't get the best score. I just don't want to waste time studying for yet another useless test.

Thanks to all responders for the great, prompt replies. That is exactly what I was hoping to hear!!

Can a low Step 2 score received after the match hurt in the future? If we choose to send out a fellowship applications? Hollman pathway application? Grant application? I can't imagine it would affect job applications. Anything I haven't thought of?

Nobody gives a crap about ANY of your USMLE scores during/after a Radiation Oncology residency. It only matters if you fail.

If you did well on step 1 and you don't end up doing as well on step 2 (but still above 230), would this hurt you? I've heard it doesn't matter as much how well you do on step 2 as long as it's over 230, but I don't know if this is true.
thanks!

I had 250 on Step 1, and 235 on Step II that I took really early. The only comments that I got on interviews were like "good job".

If you did well on step 1 and you don't end up doing as well on step 2 (but still above 230), would this hurt you? I've heard it doesn't matter as much how well you do on step 2 as long as it's over 230, but I don't know if this is true.
thanks!

applilcants think too much in terms of "rules". There is no bottom line rule about what usmle score you "need". Ive seen scores barely above 200 in recent years in serious applicants. Obviously they have other outstanding features in their cv. but there is no rule.