Step 2 Veterans, please help me come up with a plan!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azzarah

sleepy!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking Step 2 at the end of December. Currently interviewing for ophtho and plan to study while on the interview trail and then take a week off in December and take step 2. What is the best way to study? What should I read now? What should I leave for my week off? When should I do UW?

For Step 1, I memorized FA *cold* and read parts of MBMRS and did 10% of Qbank and that worked well.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd start UW now. 2100 or so questions. Once your'e done with it, go back and do all the incorrect questions. I used First Aid, but if I had to do it again I wouldn't use it b/c it's kinda thick, I'd probably go with Crush the boards and maybe boards and ward with it.

I'd say UW is more than adequate. There was very few questions that I hadn't seen before during my time studying for Step 2. UW pretty much covers almost everything possible that can be asked of you during your exam. Just do about 2 blocks a day (96 q's) and you'll be ready once dec rolls around.

Step 2 isn't like Step 1 where memorization is really important. I think it's more "common sense" stuff, and most of us medical students have encountered alot of it during our 3rd and 4th year rotations so far.

Thank you so much for your advice! I will sign up for it tomorrow and start doing what you said....

What do you think of case files? Is it worth reviewing the whole series before the boards?

I just signed up! You're right....it takes a while to get through these questions! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard case files is good. I actually bought case files ob/gyn, surgery, pediatrics to study for my exam but didnt have time to read any of them. I'd probably just stick with two sources, UW and crush, and not overload yourself with things to do. Just know those two in and out and you'll do well.

Has anybody used Prescription for the USMLE step 2 or is Crush boards better? Thanks

Okay, maybe I will just do case files in OB/GYN since that's my weakest area....that was my first rotation and I don't remember a thing!

Okay, maybe I will just do case files in OB/GYN since that's my weakest area....that was my first rotation and I don't remember a thing!