BOTH Step 2 without FM for EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schwasted589

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard EM residencies want to see a step 2 score and older students have told me to try to take it earlier vs waiting until June/July of 3rd year so that scores could be in and I could schedule my first audition and get an SLOR July/August.

I don't have FM until June. Is that a problem? I'll have all my other cores done and was going to do a radiology/anesthesiology rotation in May while I studied for the step 2. Not smart?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Your score won't take all that long to come back (... hopefully, mine took nearly 2 months because I got caught in the gap last year), so if you take Step 2 after you are done with your clinical rotations you should be fine. I'm in IM so I didn't do an away rotation, so I cannot speak to this. However, If you want to take it before you are done with FM I would say it is possible, but caution you that you will be doing a clerkship while studying (which I know is the same 4th year but sometimes the expectations/standards are different). The positive note to this is that FM is not "overly-represented" on step 2 (in my opinion there is no FM on Step 2), and there are not great resources out there for the FM shelf ( there is a casefiles. I skimmed it. Looked decent) so what I did was read FA for Step 2CK instead. So-- short story long-- yes, this is doable, ( and hopefully your radiology/anesthesiology rotation is not too time intensive) and you probably don't need your FM experience for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Your score won't take all that long to come back (... hopefully, mine took nearly 2 months because I got caught in the gap last year), so if you take Step 2 after you are done with your clinical rotations you should be fine. I'm in IM so I didn't do an away rotation, so I cannot speak to this. However, If you want to take it before you are done with FM I would say it is possible, but caution you that you will be doing a clerkship while studying (which I know is the same 4th year but sometimes the expectations/standards are different). The positive note to this is that FM is not "overly-represented" on step 2 (in my opinion there is no FM on Step 2), and there are not great resources out there for the FM shelf ( there is a casefiles. I skimmed it. Looked decent) so what I did was read FA for Step 2CK instead. So-- short story long-- yes, this is doable, ( and hopefully your radiology/anesthesiology rotation is not too time intensive) and you probably don't need your FM experience for it.

Thanks for your reply. Out of curiosity, are anesthesiology rotations usually pretty time intensive? I ask because I don't hear about them very often so was wondering

I just finished with my anesthesiology rotation, (though it was my last rotation of 4th year and after the match, so it may be a little different for you). I usually would hang around and wheel back 2-3 patients a day and help induce them and intubate them, then was often out the door by 11 or noon everyday. The residents I worked with were really great, and understood that for me the point of the rotation was to develop airway management skills. So I did that and then split!

Reactions: 1 user