Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SW-Adrian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my step 2. Does anyone know how long does it take to get the results? I know it says before 6 weeks, but I imagine it should be faster since it's all computerized.

Members don't see this ad.

I recieved my results in less than a month. And, they should even be better by now. Good luck.

Thanks guys,

I hope I did fine... There was a lot of trauma in it, which I'm not too good at. I'm just a little bit nervous now... especially that I don't have time to retake it if worse comes to worse...
Anyway, I should be more positive... :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine had a lot of trauma too - which I also didn't feel confident with (not very much penetrating trauma in Oz) and not nearly enough Surgery. ;)

I'm sure you did fine - do you just have to pass to start residency/graduate or are you aiming for a particular score? I didn't feel too great about mine but my score was a few points above the average so it came out all right - as I know it will for you as well.

Actually, I just need to pass to start residency. I don't need to pass step 2 for graduation though. Anyway, I'm busy packing like a nut now... It's amazing how much junk I have accumulated throughout the past 13 years in this apartment.

Actually, I just need to pass to start residency. I don't need to pass step 2 for graduation though. Anyway, I'm busy packing like a nut now... It's amazing how much junk I have accumulated throughout the past 13 years in this apartment.

13 YEARS!!?? Did you go to undergrad and medical school twice???

Anyway, what happens if you don't pass Step II? You're finished with med school, but you can't go on to residency...what do you do? Do you just study study study until the next time Step II is offered? I wouldn't think, though, that you would do nothing else. Do you continue in a clinical setting with the same rights as an MS-IV?

Yes I did my undergrad as well as an MD-PhD. What do I do if I don't pass step 2? Geez... I really don't want to think about that... I guess I would just die :confused:

Originally posted by Firebird:
•Anyway, what happens if you don't pass Step II? You're finished with med school, but you can't go on to residency...what do you do? Do you just study study study until the next time Step II is offered? I wouldn't think, though, that you would do nothing else. Do you continue in a clinical setting with the same rights as an MS-IV?•

Depends on the residency program but generally you would be placed in an elective rotation with only "observership" responsibilties, no clinical duties. Obviously if your school required it for graduation, you would not be graduating.

The USMLEs are now offered year around, so you don't have to wait until its "offered again". However, I do believe there is a certain (mourning) period (possibly 2-3 months) you must wait before taking it again.