step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

path19

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if we could start a list of programs that require step 2 to be completed before they interview or rank you.

i know that the university of minnesota requires step 2 before they rank you, as does dartmouth. is this a widespread thing?

this is unfortunate, as i have taken off april to study for it. i can't decide if i should just give up on the programs that require it and take it when i planned or try to study for it during my other rotations and take it earlier. i'm just afraid that i'll end up failing it if i don't study properly and that will ruin my chances at all the programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, I've never heard of that. None of the programs I've applied to require Step 2, as far as I know. Before you decide to change your plans and take it early, I would verify that Step 2 is an absolute requirement for ranking. If it is, and one of the programs that requires it is in your top 3 or 4, you might consider taking it. Otherwise, I'd stick with the plan to take it in April so you don't have to stress out about studying for it during interviews. Most AMGs applying in path will get one of their top choices and it sounds like you have plenty of offers from a lot of great programs (as a side note, now I really am regretting not having applied to Iowa; yesterday I heard for the third time in the past three weeks that it's a great program...).
If you're doing a medicine sub-I or an EM rotation this year, that should help and you may not need to study as much as you think.

I can't speak for other programs, but I know I matched at mine without even reporting my Step 2 score (I forgot to update my ERAS application). Of course, at some point I'm sure they knew I passed but I always wondered about that...