MD Step 2CK timing question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey so I am really confused about the timing of Step 2CK. I'm a brand new MS3 and I know that I have some time to think about it before we start the scheduling process in a few months, but I wanted to get a feel for the options for my situation.

I know every situation is different as far as Step 2 options, but here's mine: upper-mid tier USMD state school with a good reputation, 233 on Step 1 & very, very heavily leaning towards Family Medicine. I've heard that "some" specialties really like to see Step 2CK, others don't. Have heard mixed information regarding FM specifically. Also want to keep options open for IM and Peds on the minuscule chance I decide to go into one of those, instead. My school does NOT give us a set dedicated time for Step 2, but we have a certain amount of blocks off during MS4 that we can use for studying, travel, interviews, etc.

So as I see it, I have 3 options based on my free blocks and needed graduation requirements:

- sub-I in July and take a month off to study/take it in August (+ work on ERAS) -- score could be released to ERAS
- couple it with a month I'm already taking off for interviews (October/Nov?) -- is this a thing people do??
- try to take it during a "chill" elective (summer? fall?) and use the free block for other purposes (at my school, a few chill electives are Public Health, Rads, Complementary Medicine, etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

For FM, it depends - if you have a lower Step 1 score, it would benefit you to take Step 2 early and do better than Step 1. If you're iffy about passing it, better to do it early as possible so you have time to retake if needed. Otherwise, it's nice to have it by application time but not the end of the world if you don't. As long as you get your score back by rank list time in Feb, you're fine. Just personally speaking, I took CK earlier this month and will be taking CS in the next month...just wanted to get them over with while the material was fresh and so I could enjoy M4 and not have them hanging over my head.

Re: when to study, Step 2 studying is much chiller than Step 1 - most people at my school only take about 2 weeks. I took 4 weeks since my last M3 rotation was surgery (aka zero time for studying), and I felt like I could have done it in 3 pretty easily. You could definitely pull it off in a more chill elective if that's what you want. ERAS takes maybe 2-3 afternoons of work, you don't need a whole month to do it as long as you were proactive about getting your personal statement done.
Thanks! I definitely have heard what you're saying about the time it takes to study/not needing a month - but we don't really have the option to only take 2 weeks, so it's 4 weeks or nothing. I will also have surgery last, so good to hear what you say about that, too. Maybe I should think more about doing it during a chill 4 week elective...

Reactions: 1 user