Step 2CK timing

Started by gasknight
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gasknight

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I apologize in advance if this has been asked before. I couldn't find a prior thread related to gas programs.

I did well on Step 1 (>255+). Is there anything to gain from taking Step 2 prior to ERAS submission? Are there any programs in particular that require Step 2 prior to interviewing or submitting their rank list?

Thanks for your help.
 
Just take it asap. You've proven you can do well on the boards. Study hard and do well again. I can absolutely confirm that some programs want your step 2 score and will not grant an interview without it. This is only a handful of programs, but they're out there.
 
It is my understanding that all programs require step 2 CK score prior to ranking and a good many require it for interview consideration. However, this what I've read on here and talking to a few program directors.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It is my understanding that all programs require step 2 CK score prior to ranking and a good many require it for interview consideration. However, this what I've read on here and talking to a few program directors.

This is absolutely false. Only one program that I interviewed with out of 10 requires Step 2 CK or CS prior to being placed on their rank order list. All the rest only require it before you start residency.
 
Don't overthink this. I was in the same boat as you, Step 1-wise, took it earlier than I'd planned and can't tell you how happy I was to just have it done. Did UWORLD once and actually moved my test date up 2 weeks- just couldn't take it anymore. Better yet, do CS a few days after CK. Seriously not worth stressing about.