step 3 and fellowship

Started by minnime
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

minnime

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,
I have a question. How inportant is step 3 to neuro fellowshiip applications. I just found out I failed by a freakin point. Step 1 and 2 scores are great. Just took the exam too lightly i guess. Am I out of the game for fellowships?
-Thanks M
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's been a while since this has been brought up, but I just want to touch base and see if this is still the case. For those us planning to subspecialize, does Step 3 continue to be irrelevant in the application process? For what it's worth, I'm an intern wrapping up, and I'm most interested in NCC. I'm just trying to decide how much time to allocate to studying---if getting 240s is fine or if there would be any yield on a higher score (which will take more studying).
 
LOL you will be more than fine w/ 240 on Step 3... as has been said before, no one really cares about any of the steps for fellowship. Your LORs, big name faculty making some calls for you, research, and choice in elective time probably count for the most. Some really competitive places MAY ask for your yearly RITE exam scores.