Step III Step 3 bad experience, missed many questions on day 1; would appreciate inputs!

Started by TNKay
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TNKay

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone!

I gave my Step 3 two days back and I am freaking out a lot. I left all the drug ad questions on day 1 and drained out my time in one of the blocks leaving out 6 questions. The mistakes are haunting me- some very easy infectious disease questions, one stat question, 1 peds, three coupled question stems (where you instantly know if you did the first question right), and so many other questions (some I can recall, some I cant). I scored a 225 on UWSA1, have decent scores in Step1 and CK. I had failed my CS and wanted to leverage Step 3 by scoring well in it and using it to compensate for my failure in the CS.

Please tell me if someone had a similar experience in Step 3 and still managed to score well?
I will immensely appreciate the inputs.

P.S. An IMG here trying desperately to get into residency
 
Hello everyone!

I gave my Step 3 two days back and I am freaking out a lot. I left all the drug ad questions on day 1 and drained out my time in one of the blocks leaving out 6 questions. The mistakes are haunting me- some very easy infectious disease questions, one stat question, 1 peds, three coupled question stems (where you instantly know if you did the first question right), and so many other questions (some I can recall, some I cant). I scored a 225 on UWSA1, have decent scores in Step1 and CK. I had failed my CS and wanted to leverage Step 3 by scoring well in it and using it to compensate for my failure in the CS.

Please tell me if someone had a similar experience in Step 3 and still managed to score well?
I will immensely appreciate the inputs.

P.S. An IMG here trying desperately to get into residency
how did you end up doing?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thats awesome, I missed some treatments for my ccs cases, medications I couldn't remember the name for and treatments I wasn't not 100% sure about so I afraid to put them down for fear of taking points away for invasive tests or something.. did you do anything that horrible? I'm so worried I failed.
 
thats awesome, I missed some treatments for my ccs cases, medications I couldn't remember the name for and treatments I wasn't not 100% sure about so I afraid to put them down for fear of taking points away for invasive tests or something.. did you do anything that horrible? I'm so worried I failed.
I did miss some very basic tests for my 2-3 CCS cases, one case I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the patient, and one case, the only plausible treatment was being repeatedly declined by the patient. But, I don't think it affected my score. And if it's only the CCS part you struggled slightly in- trust me you absolutely did not fail. I am sending my best wishes your way. And I never believed in this until it happened to me - but the exam is highly, immensely, extremely forgiving. Hope for the best!!
 
UPDATE for future readers. I passed. So it turns out you can make some pretty epic mistakes and still pass. =) Thank goodness because the USMLE trauma is now over forever!
Congrats! I'm 3.5 weeks away from my test and I'm freaking out. I hope my epic mistakes aren't too epic on test day lol

Any tips???