Step 3 before residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zoondel

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just graduated in May, and I will be pursuing another degree before I begin residency (either 1 or 2 years from now).
I'm planning on taking Step 3 in about a month, and I've just started studying.
It makes sense that the CCS cases are 'easier' when one already has internship experience.
Do you think that the practice cases in FA and on USMLEsteps123.com would be sufficient?
I would like to do well on this exam, since my score will probably be seen by program directors. (right?)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm also wondering about this one. Is it possible to take the test (and pass it) before internship year? They say it's a muct for IMGs who want the better visa. Would appreciate enlightenment. thanks!

I'm in a simlar position and have heard that FA is a good resource for Step 3 prep, as it has good information and prep sections for the CCS cases. Besides that, one should consider usmlesteps123.com and/or UW or QBank. I like Kaplan more than UW, so I'll choose QBank when the time arrives.

If you do your intern year in IM or FP, then it will help you with the exam. However, I think you are well prepared for this exam upon med school graduation, and the longer you put it off, the more unused info slips away. USMLEworld is very good, and cheaper than QBank. I found FA to be a good review. Step 3 really isn't difficult (you've already been through Steps 1 and 2, which are so much worse). I didn't study much, and passed. I am by no means a genius... did avg on steps 1 & 2, and am a surg resident (meaning the stuff I do on a daily basis is not on the test). My point is, if you put in the effort to really study with these sources, do all the questions (or most of them), I think you can do very well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many people say that Step 3 is easier after completing intern year. I can't comment on this personally as I'm only 2 months into it. However, using a combo of usmleworld.com for the mcq's and usmlesteps123.com for the ccs cases was sufficient for me to pass before starting PGY-1.

Also remember that some states have a time limit for passing all three steps (ie 7 years for example).

Good Luck!

Cool...thanks for sharing.....this exam is pretty tough on the nerves. Im still waiting for my permit...

I'll offer the same advice as I do for everyone...

Don't stress about Step 3. Once you've gone through part of your intern year (as Amy stated), it's no problem. I studied over a day or two skimming through Crush and reading the cases in First Aid. Didn't do any questions.

I'm currently applying for a residency in pathology. I have zero interest in clinical medicine and I would like to take Step 3 immediatley upon graduation before all my clinical knowledge becomes rusty. What is the best way to go about doing this in terms of where to apply for and take the exam?

You should have no trouble taking Step 3 fresh out of medical school, especially if you're going into something like Path or psych, or getting a public health degree, or something. I did study more for it than interns who were taking towards the end of their first year, though. I used Kaplan's qbank and lecture notes, NMS questions, crush step 3, step 3 recall, First Aid and USMLE World. All in all, I felt very well prepared. I think the test is very "do-able"; it just gets to be very long. So practice doing questions in blocks of 50 without breaks, working up to doing 5-6 hours in a row. (Just like training for a marathon.) And as far as the CCS, I used First aid high yield cases, USMLE worlds, and blueprints. But honestly, that part of the test is 80% anxiety, but only 20% of the grade. The cases were straight-forward, nothing bizarre. Just practice with the disk they send you so you know how to work the software. And write down the initial info on the wipeboard so you can give all those "educate/advise" orders at the end. I'm not saying you have to use all these guides, but don't use just one. Oh, and Kaplan has a great book on ethics for those of you who hate them.

P.S.
General themes to know: review common derm and opthomalogy images.

I'm currently applying for a residency in pathology. I have zero interest in clinical medicine and I would like to take Step 3 immediatley upon graduation before all my clinical knowledge becomes rusty. What is the best way to go about doing this in terms of where to apply for and take the exam?

I am a first year Path resident, and like you I wanted to take Step 3 right after graduation. Unfortunately it took them a month and a half to validate me, and I did not get my scheduling permit till the end of July. I am actually taking the exam tomorrow. At least I am on a light rotation now. I'm not sure if it is a good idea to apply right after graduation if you don't know what your residency schedule is going to be like. Once you get the permit you have 3 months to take the exam.

As stated above, it takes a while to receive your "orange" permit in the mail. I think mine arrived around 5-6 weeks after I applied.

My husband is a path resident and he took Step 3 two months after starting his residency and passed with flying colors. He used both the Kaplan and USMLEWorld Qbanks, First aid, and Crush. Good luck to you!:thumbup:

Yikes! How long did he study for it? That's a lot of work...what happened to the old "#2 pencil" adage?

Did he have that much time available during his Path internship? :)

He started during his more slack 4th year rotations, and had a month off before he started residency. I studied with him, but we probably did a little overkill because of our specialities (I'm psych.) In retrospect, just one Qbank would be sufficiant as the two often seem to purposefully contradict one another; but I think both Crush and First Aid helped. And definitely do practice with the FRED software so you know how to run the cases.

Also, we both took the NBME practice exam, and his score was within a few points of what that predicted.