Step 3 CCS questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theanswer03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I know if the case ends early, you most likely have done enough to finish the case successfully, (or if you've put in crazy orders, might have killed the patient or managed them inappropriately), but if you don't finish BEFORE the allotted computer time finishes, can you still have finished the case successfully?

Like one of the cases, a COPD exacerbation.. I do all the orders the UWorld explanation has said and that we all know to do.. cxr, abg, supplemental 02, steroids, abx, pulse ox, albuterol/ipratropium, etc etc, but i can't get the case to end early. In a situation like that, where I know I've done appropriate management for the case, but it doesn't end early, I could still be doing it successfully right?

Members don't see this ad.

And can you pass the test getting poor marks on the CCS portion of the test?

I guess my original question was - are the cases an "all or nothing" grading system, and if the case isn't ended early by the computer (which would insinuate successful completion), can you still get a decent score based on the things you did do right in the case (assuming maybe you didn't do EVERYTHING right, and thus the case was not ended early)?

If you're heading down the right track then the case will end early. If you're about to run out of time during the real thing, you're missing something.

The CCS is worth 25% of your entire score so you can still pass if you do horrible but you'd better make up for it on the multiple choice questions.

I doubt anyone has any insight into how they are actually graded. During my test, they ended within 5 minutes. I know I missed some small stuff here and there but overall I did fine on CCS.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're heading down the right track then the case will end early. If you're about to run out of time during the real thing, you're missing something.

The CCS is worth 25% of your entire score so you can still pass if you do horrible but you'd better make up for it on the multiple choice questions.

I doubt anyone has any insight into how they are actually graded. During my test, they ended within 5 minutes. I know I missed some small stuff here and there but overall I did fine on CCS.

so if the program doesn't end you early, you more than likely failed that case?

so if the program doesn't end you early, you more than likely failed that case?
No, it means that you haven't gotten to whatever point where they feel you're on the right track. As I said previously, I'm not sure if anyone has a good idea on how the CCS is graded (i.e., pass vs. fail, etc.). If you run out of time on a large majority of your cases during the test, then you shouldn't feel confident in passing the CCS portion.

No, it means that you haven't gotten to whatever point where they feel you're on the right track. As I said previously, I'm not sure if anyone has a good idea on how the CCS is graded (i.e., pass vs. fail, etc.). If you run out of time on a large majority of your cases during the test, then you shouldn't feel confident in passing the CCS portion.

Do you have to pass the CCS portion to pass the exam as a whole? Or could you make up for a poor CCS portion with a good multiple choice question score?

Do you have to pass the CCS portion to pass the exam as a whole? Or could you make up for a poor CCS portion with a good multiple choice question score?

I doubt anyone really knows how CCS is scored and if you can get a partial credit. I would just concentrate on doing the best you can: there is no reason why you shouldn't pass if you use UWorld CCS software and study/practice all cases :luck:
Also, in retrospect, it seemed that the questions on a real test were rather different/harder compared to UWorld or Kaplan, so I would not bet on planning to make up poor CCS score with good MCQ performance.

I doubt anyone really knows how CCS is scored and if you can get a partial credit. I would just concentrate on doing the best you can: there is no reason why you shouldn't pass if you use UWorld CCS software and study/practice all cases :luck:
Also, in retrospect, it seemed that the questions on a real test were rather different/harder compared to UWorld or Kaplan, so I would not bet on planning to make up poor CCS score with good MCQ performance.

Agreed. I think the general consensus is that doing well on CCS helps people compensate for the MCQ part.