USMLE Step 3 experience 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roxxan

Non US IMG
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is an img taking step 3 before application cycle. Didn’t see any recent thread for step 3 so decided to create one.

Day one: Had a terrible exam. Had lots of biostat, drug ads, pharmacology and about 10 biochemistry. Was flagging every alternate questions and not sure even in the unflagged one. Made some very silly mistakes as well which I could recall immediately in the break.

Day 2: Took it 2 days later. Questions were easier then day I but definitely tougher than rest of steps. No biostat and pharmacology. Questions were more like uworld step 3. Silly mistakes continues here to.

Ccs: First 5 were fine, patients were getting better. Something missing here and there. From the 6th case I started feeling exhausted and the cases were tricky as well. One of the patient did not recover even on 8-9 days. One case I missed the subtle findings and treated for 2 days wrongly. The patient didn’t improve. Then threw few random tests here and there in desperation. Then got the diagnosis. Treated the patient but time went out. Missed a lot of things in 10 minutes case because the software was slow.
Looking for the results. If I pass it would be like how bad can you do and still pass. Will post my score, regardless of the pass/fail status.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This is an img taking step 3 before application cycle. Didn’t see any recent thread for step 3 so decided to create one.

Day one: Had a terrible exam. Had lots of biostat, drug ads, pharmacology and about 10 biochemistry. Was flagging every alternate questions and not sure even in the unflagged one. Made some very silly mistakes as well which I could recall immediately in the break.

Day 2: Took it 2 days later. Questions were easier then day I but definitely tougher than rest of steps. No biostat and pharmacology. Questions were more like uworld step 3. Silly mistakes continues here to.

Ccs: First 5 were fine, patients were getting better. Something missing here and there. From the 6th case I started feeling exhausted and the cases were tricky as well. One of the patient did not recover even on 8-9 days. One case I missed the subtle findings and treated for 2 days wrongly. The patient didn’t improve. Then threw few random tests here and there in desperation. Then got the diagnosis. Treated the patient but time went out. Missed a lot of things in 10 minutes case because the software was slow.
Looking for the results. If I pass it would be like how bad can you do and still pass. Will post my score, regardless of the pass/fail status.

Hope you passed :)

I gave day 1 yesterday and the questions were quite tough. What would you recommend doing before day 2 apart from ccs?

Hope you passed :)

I gave day 1 yesterday and the questions were quite tough. What would you recommend doing before day 2 apart from ccs?
I would have revised risk factors and prognosis. And uworld step 3 notes if you have time. I had a lot of concepts from uw3.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
IMG also.
Day one was on the 13th. Preparing for day 2. day 1 was a **** show and it got worse as the blocks went on. If i could flag all the questions i would. I ran out of time in 3/6 blocks. Day 2 on the 21st. Fingers crossed. Will update as well.

UWSA 1 197
UWSA 2 207

I just finished Day 1 on the 19th. I think my form was easy, and I find it very problematic. Either I was dealt with easy form with less curve or I am so bad that I did not see through the questions and underestimated the questions. Either sounds very bad to be honest. My day 2 is next Monday. Should I do another Uworld run or focus on CCS?

Hi, received my score yesterday. It was 236. Pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: 5 users
Glad to hear that!! I am so worried because i felt just like you did about both days as well. I finished day 2 on August 17th, and I just want to pass... looking for my score maybe this wednesday but more likely the following one. How many weeks did it take after your exam before they posted your score?

Glad to hear that!! I am so worried because i felt just like you did about both days as well. I finished day 2 on August 17th, and I just want to pass... looking for my score maybe this wednesday but more likely the following one. How many weeks did it take after your exam before they posted your score?
It took 20 days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Panicking now... Completed ~20% of Uworld and my average is 57%. I am missing every single biostats questions, cardio and obgyn. Plan to take it in 6 wks. Is it time to panic? Help!

It's embarrassing that I am missing so many cardio questions as an IM resident.

Last edited:
Panicking now... Completed ~20% of Uworld and my average is 57%. I am missing every single biostats questions, cardio and obgyn. Plan to take it in 6 wks. Is it time to panic? Help!

It's embarrassing that I am missing so many cardio questions as an IM resident.

Try not to focus so much in the percentage you get and instead on the things you missed and why you got the question wrong. Did you changed the date or are you still planning on taking it in the weeks you have left?

Congrats! I'm feeling the same way you did. I felt like my first day went horrible, I did not get much sleep the night before and felt like I made a lot of stupid mistakes. The second day went a little better, I could identify things more clearly. I think I did ok on the CCS, except on 2 cases that I didn't know what to do. I'm expecting my score next week. Hopefully, I pass since I'm applying for the Match and I think it could help my application.

Try not to focus so much in the percentage you get and instead on the things you missed and why you got the question wrong. Did you changed the date or are you still planning on taking it in the weeks you have left?
I am still planning to take it at the end of next month...

I am still planning to take it at the end of next month...
How is the studying going? Are you feeling more confident? Don't forget to practice the CCS cases, I even got one of the samples from the USMLE page

How is the studying going? Are you feeling more confident? Don't forget to practice the CCS cases, I even got one of the samples from the USMLE page
I am on night float now, and it's taking a toll on me since I am admitting 6-8 people every night while supervising the cross cover intern. I have not been studying for over 3 weeks now.

I am on night float now, and it's taking a toll on me since I am admitting 6-8 people every night while supervising the cross cover intern. I have not been studying for over 3 weeks now.
I'm in the same boat with the night float thing. I'm feeling like I'm screwed because I'm on a similar timetable, I can't really reschedule, and I feel like I should have made progress in the Qbank right now in terms of % correct/"rank". I'm going to keep at it; I have no choice.

Thank you for sharing your experience
I failed 2 month ago and I took in again 16th and 17th September so still waiting the results
Can I ask you something
[email protected] is my email pleas email me
Thank you so much

Congrats! I'm feeling the same way you did. I felt like my first day went horrible, I did not get much sleep the night before and felt like I made a lot of stupid mistakes. The second day went a little better, I could identify things more clearly. I think I did ok on the CCS, except on 2 cases that I didn't know what to do. I'm expecting my score next week. Hopefully, I pass since I'm applying for the Match and I think it could help my application.
Hi I am waiting my score too I did the exam on 16th/17th and this is my second attempt

I know its hard to find the motivation and the strength to study working as an intern. Just try to find some time, even just 1 hour a day. I found this exam to be hard even though I did well on it 237. I never felt confident about it, so just focus on studying and getting through with it. Good luck :)

No worries, I'm happy to explain a bit. Anyone can feel free to send me a DM if they want to discuss things in a more private manner.

USIMG
Step 1: 200 (first pass)
Step 2 CK: (211; on third attempt. Dealing with personal stuff and should have waited but didn't because I was an idiot)
Step 2 CS: Pass (first attempt)
Step 3: 196 (first attempt)
Had 2 LOA during medical school (both related to money because I was paying cash)

*I know my scores suck and will be an uphill battle but I believe a program director will see my life experience and other academic achievements and say, "we need that dude in our program."

Resources used: DIT Step 3 (I didn't buy it; someone hooked me up), Step 2 CK notes. and uworld (assessments, ccs cases, and q-bank). I only had about a 2-2.5 month to study.

I am currently NOT in residency and took the exam beforehand because I don't want to deal with it then. I am a USIMG and graduated Nov 2017 (debated to continue with medicine or use my other masters degrees to get rich because my overall scores suck; I chose medicine). I will add that I have a problem with standardized test (I get super nervous, my throat closes, and have a difficult time breathing) but for some reason I'm straight with regular exams and tend to dominate those.

My experience/thought about the test was that it was SUPER weird in terms of the question(s) asked. They had a lot of Step 1 material (mechanisms of drugs, having to choose the specific bug based off description such as gram + cocco-bacilli, etc) and some off the wall stuff. In addition, there were a good amount of concepts that no matter how much you studied or prepared, there just was no way of narrowing down based off the answer options (most were A-E). On day 1 I felt that I was guessing about 50-60%; could be a little higher. The question stems were long, somewhat similar to uworld, but they went out of their way to be SUPER vague. It could have just been my test form but from other people I spoke to testing on the same day felt the same. I don't have an intern year yet but I am sure that if I did I could have possibly got some of the weird questions right. I went into the test just wanting to pass (196) because I wasn't trying to destroy it; I was so fed up of studying and "running on the AMA hamster wheel" that I felt a pass would suffice. PLEASE STUDY A SHYT-TON of biostats; it was HEAVY and I had at least 5-9 questions on EVERY block. I also had 1-2 abstracts that were just impossible to do just because of the amount of text to read, decipher, and formulate a theory in order to pick the correct answer option.

On the second day I had ZERO biostats, however, the questions were still challenging but more manageable. Most people would agree with my assessment because that has been their experience as well. Had a friend just take it and they confirmed that their second day was just like mine in terms of experience. Now, as far as the CCS cases, I cannot stress enough to read the 41 non-interactive cases on uworld BEFORE doing the regular 51 cases. The reason I say this is because you can become familiar with things and understand what needs to be ordered and when to order it. You have to remember, you are now considered the top dog (at least on the exam) and have to think like a clinician so your orders have to be calculated. Half of the battle is getting accustomed with the software program and knowing the names of drugs (generic or name brand) and types of procedures along with consults that may or may not be needed.

I found this post to be similar to my exam experience, I hope it might help you

Thank you for sharing your experience
I failed 2 month ago and I took in again 16th and 17th September so still waiting the results
Can I ask you something
[email protected] is my email pleas email me
Thank you so much
How did it go? I also failed at my first attempt and would really appreciate if you could share your experience.

planning to start studying for step 3 now. Q1: How much time do I realistically need to prepare for step 3? Im on no rotations and no residency for now. Please guide me.
Q2: is ONLY UWorld enough?
Q3: what is archers notes?
Depends upon target score. If your are targeting above 40 or 30 i think 2 and half month. If you just wanna pass then i feel like 1.5 months dedicated will do.

H everyone! I wanted to ask your suggestion I am done with 85% of uworld and my average is 68%, i am planning to take step 3 in 2 weeks. 2 of my friends recently took their Step 3 and both of them said Part 1 had a lot of Biostats along with drug adds of course that they couldn't solve in time. Day 1 was all about basics. it has been a while since i took my step 1, is there a way to quickly revise basics to get through day 1? Thankyou

H everyone! I wanted to ask your suggestion I am done with 85% of uworld and my average is 68%, i am planning to take step 3 in 2 weeks. 2 of my friends recently took their Step 3 and both of them said Part 1 had a lot of Biostats along with drug adds of course that they couldn't solve in time. Day 1 was all about basics. it has been a while since i took my step 1, is there a way to quickly revise basics to get through day 1? Thankyou

I found this to be very useful in addition to doing the 100 or so bio stats questions in the qbank on uworld( repeated at least 4 times just that section, went over the explanation for all the choices) it helped ease my nerves on actual exam. Know the 4x4 tables and the formulas well!
Sensitivty, specificity, PPV, NPV, likelihood ratios, NNT, NNH, RR,AR, ARR, Null, power alpha and beta error. Know the Kaplan- meier graph. Pharmacology go over the mechanism/ site of actions of drugs and side effects.
For example: the drugs which causes tendon rupture acts which of the following
Ribosomes
Topoisomerase
Transglutaminase
Cholesterol
Another question was PPAR gamma agonists in used in the treatment of
Lowering LDL cholesterol
Congestive heart failure
Fatty liver
Elevated A1c
Though the questions seem easy on exam day, the brain plays tricks on you. I ended up making silly mistakes, even though I knew the answer.
Good luck on your 3xam.

I found this to be very useful in addition to doing the 100 or so bio stats questions in the qbank on uworld( repeated at least 4 times just that section, went over the explanation for all the choices) it helped ease my nerves on actual exam. Know the 4x4 tables and the formulas well!
Sensitivty, specificity, PPV, NPV, likelihood ratios, NNT, NNH, RR,AR, ARR, Null, power alpha and beta error. Know the Kaplan- meier graph. Pharmacology go over the mechanism/ site of actions of drugs and side effects.
For example: the drugs which causes tendon rupture acts which of the following
Ribosomes
Topoisomerase
Transglutaminase
Cholesterol
Another question was PPAR gamma agonists in used in the treatment of
Lowering LDL cholesterol
Congestive heart failure
Fatty liver
Elevated A1c
Though the questions seem easy on exam day, the brain plays tricks on you. I ended up making silly mistakes, even though I knew the answer.
Good luck on your 3xam.

I hope i can calm my nerves on exam day :p Thanks so much for your help. I ll go through this video. :)

Hi guys,

I have done with my exam. Ugh
I never thought it will be stressful like this.

day 1 : was so horrible, couldn't finish on the Time, so I'm not sure about 30-40% of the MCQ..
Day 2 MCQ was good but also alot of advanced ideas on some topics, overall was good compare to day 1.
CCS : almost all the cases ended early. 11 cases was good, patient improved and the case end but sure I missed somethings, 2 cases I got the diagnosis but the case ended without update so I put some order in the last 2 min to help me get marks.

I read the result will be released on 24th instead of 25th.
If I did my exam this week, am I expecting my score 24th?

I want to pass and say bye to USMLE before 2020 loool

Step 3 passing score will increase from 196 to 198 from 1/1/2020.

Change in minimum passing score for Step 3
Posted: December 09, 2019
The recommended Step 3 minimum passing score will change from 196 to 198. This change will affect examinees who take a Step 3 examination that begins on or after January 1, 2020.
As stated in the USMLE Bulletin of Information and as explained in a previous posting to the USMLE website, the minimum passing score for each USMLE Step examination is reviewed periodically and may be adjusted at any time.

At its December 2019 meeting, the USMLE Management Committee* conducted a review of the Step 3 examination minimum passing score. During the meeting, the Committee considered information from multiple sources, including:

• Recommendations from independent groups of physicians who participated in content-based standard-setting activities in 2019;
  • Results of surveys of various groups (e.g., state licensing representatives, medical school faculty, examinees) concerning the appropriateness of current passing requirements for the Step 3 examination;
  • Data on trends in examinee performance;
  • Data on precision of pass/fail classifications.

As a result of its review, the USMLE Management Committee decided to raise the recommended Step 3 minimum passing score from 196 to 198.

As noted above, this change will apply to Step 3 examinees who take a Step 3 examination that begins on or
after January 1, 2020.

*The USMLE Management Committee is composed of medical school faculty with experience in undergraduate and graduate education, members of state medical boards, public members, and a resident member. The Management Committee is responsible for setting minimum passing performance levels for all USMLE exams.

Hi all,

Just had my day 1 exam today....

As expected many biostat questions (nothing crazy), but again for literature and drug ads questions, I ran out of time and had to randomly pick the answers...

Ethics were kind of tricky, do you guys know if they still ask ethic questions on day 2? I have few days until my day 2 and am thinking if I have to prepare this better. Please let me know.

I know for sure that there is at least no biostat questions on day 2 but I am not sure about the ethics questions....

Plan to work on focusing on CCS now.

Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks.

Hi all,

Just had my day 1 exam today....

As expected many biostat questions (nothing crazy), but again for literature and drug ads questions, I ran out of time and had to randomly pick the answers...

Ethics were kind of tricky, do you guys know if they still ask ethic questions on day 2? I have few days until my day 2 and am thinking if I have to prepare this better. Please let me know.

I know for sure that there is at least no biostat questions on day 2 but I am not sure about the ethics questions....

Plan to work on focusing on CCS now.

Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks.
To what I've read, Day 2 is mostly clinical CK like questions with no biostats and ethics. However, I myself haven't given it yet! Good luck for D2.

How did you feel about D1? Do you think it was mostly around Step 3 UW or more of basic sciences and concepts that you did in Step 1 and CK?

Mine is in 2 days!!

To what I've read, Day 2 is mostly clinical CK like questions with no biostats and ethics. However, I myself haven't given it yet! Good luck for D2.

How did you feel about D1? Do you think it was mostly around Step 3 UW or more of basic sciences and concepts that you did in Step 1 and CK?

Mine is in 2 days!!
D1 a lot of WTF questions in both clinical and ethics. Biostat was probably the most straightforward.

For ethics this site was very helpful:

Uworld is helpful I think but the actual questions are slightly shorter and it felt like more like WTF questions more than UW.

I recommend Pholston's step 3 hy note which I will upload it once I find it.

D1 a lot of WTF questions in both clinical and ethics. Biostat was probably the most straightforward.

For ethics this site was very helpful:

Uworld is helpful I think but the actual questions are slightly shorter and it felt like more like WTF questions more than UW.

I recommend Pholston's step 3 hy note which I will upload it once I find it.

Thanks to Pholston, who created this. I found this helpful reviewing UW questions.

Attachments

• UWorld Step 3 notes.pdf
    579.8 KB · Views: 692
Hi guys, I just finished day 2 couple of days ago.

I just figured that in most of my CCS cases I did not click the EXIT CASE button, but just waited for the time to run out in the 2 minutes end screen because I wanted to take all the time to think about final orders.

After that, an End Case screen appeared with a note that said something like "timing out".

Do you think that this means that my CCS cases were not saved? It doesn't explicitly say anywhere on the USMLE website that if you don't click Exit Case it doesn't save your cases, but it says you must click to exit the case. I'm so confused.

I think I managed the cases well, I would jump over a bridge if I failed because I didn't click a damn exit case box.

Wasn't able to find anything about this on any forum.

Any thoughts about it?

Thx

They're autosaved.i didn't exit cases manually for most of mine.

Kaplan diagnostic test 68% correct.

Anyone did it and sat already for the actual exam?
Any correlation? Thx!

I am writing this to share my experience with you guys in order to help those who are going through the same dilemma. Initially, the step 3 exam is not easy as we all were told. It needs preparation and practice within a planned schedule and time frame. My first attempt was 2015, have attended Kaplan live for 8 days and solved part of their question bank and Uworld after that. I remember reading most of Kaplan's notes, Master the board and solved Uworld Q bank and CCS cases. No NBME was attempted at that time. MY score was 187. Passing score 196

I decided to prepare again and set for the exam since I am almost there and would pass EASILY. My thinking was to do some quick review and Q bank again and set for the exam. The easiest and fastest way was Doctors in Training courses, step 3 Videos 299 $. It took me 3 weeks to finish them. I decided to set for the NBME assessment test and my score was just a joke below 200. I decided to do little more serious preparation and have read on one of the USMLE forums about the Brochert's Crush Step 3: The Ultimate USMLE Step 3 Review. It was not easy to read neither to understand, however, I completed the book and went through Uworld Qbank again.

Surprise!! Failed again.

Orthopedic surgeons are known to be hard-headed, you should believe it. I decided to do more preparation this time and set for the exam. I bought First Aid step 3 and spent 4 months reading and trying to memorize it. I have had no enough time to know this bok ins/out. It was not easy for a full-time orthopedic consultant working in 2 hospitals to finish it and could not understand all non-ortho topics. Why would I care about the detailed story of a baby in his mom's uterus making noise before been delivered? I could not put the material together after completing the First aid book.

I looked online again and found a website for level assessment and guidance. It was not worth it at all. They charged me 325$ for a 1-hour consultation. However, they recommended I focus more on CCS ( great idea)and they believed my basics are not enough and I should read step 2CK materials. ( heart beats more than usual or decided to dance; how would you fix it) !!

I gave up and thought no more step 3 attempts. For no reason, I decided to go through this experience again and finish it. I bought DIT online course- Doctors in training step 2 videos and took 3 weeks off and wanted to improve my basic knowledge and have better prep for this time. I finished the course which was great and knew much more than I really needed for step 3. NBME 280. After reviewing all the material again and again and have reviewed Uworld for the 5th time I thought I would probably pass this time. I needed to work on my CCS. No online course was found at that time. I found someone who taught me online for 75$/hr. He suggested CCS cases from a commercial website rather than Uworld. I have done all of that. The CCS software was very slow in the exam, however; the exam was completed and the result was FAIL again.

Stuck and did not know what to do. I have read Kaplan notes, DIT, First aid, Crush, Sep 2CK material. CCS one to one, CCS course, CCS Uworld, Mapping CCS and not passing yet.

What else you could do? Asked google. Hey Google, I failed step 3; 3 times what to do next. No answer. Then Asked Siri, she made fun of me and could not help.
However, I asked google again and again. This time trying to find something different and look for others' experiences.

On the 4th searching page on google, I found a course called Premier review course for step 3, your success is our passion. I called the telephone number and had this conversation with Dr. Nayaz:
Hello, Do you have step 3 courses for those who failed step 3
Dr. Nayaz; Yes. I can teach you what you are expected to know and you will pass if you follow my instruction.

I explained to him my situation and sent him my reports to show him how bad was my performance and told him about my experience. I attended 8 days review with Home 3 and revised the note for 4 weeks and have had a study plan with a focus on weaknesses rather than do it all. Something I found very helpful by the premier review was the CCS online course- pre-recorded video of other students performing CCS online and short videos explaining the diseases and how to manage them.

I have changed the Qbank this time, I used Board Vitals to focus on my basics and U-world selectively for some topics to review topics with low performance. My NBME this time 400+

Result: PASS with a high score.

The moral of the story:
Find the right mentor who can do an accurate analysis of your performance
Focus on your weaknesses rather than do it all
Do Not give up.