USMLE Step 3 experience 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roxxan

Non US IMG
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is an img taking step 3 before application cycle. Didn’t see any recent thread for step 3 so decided to create one.

Day one: Had a terrible exam. Had lots of biostat, drug ads, pharmacology and about 10 biochemistry. Was flagging every alternate questions and not sure even in the unflagged one. Made some very silly mistakes as well which I could recall immediately in the break.

Day 2: Took it 2 days later. Questions were easier then day I but definitely tougher than rest of steps. No biostat and pharmacology. Questions were more like uworld step 3. Silly mistakes continues here to.

Ccs: First 5 were fine, patients were getting better. Something missing here and there. From the 6th case I started feeling exhausted and the cases were tricky as well. One of the patient did not recover even on 8-9 days. One case I missed the subtle findings and treated for 2 days wrongly. The patient didn’t improve. Then threw few random tests here and there in desperation. Then got the diagnosis. Treated the patient but time went out. Missed a lot of things in 10 minutes case because the software was slow.
Looking for the results. If I pass it would be like how bad can you do and still pass. Will post my score, regardless of the pass/fail status.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi Michael first of all I like to thank you for your informative quick Review of 4yrs medical school journey, congratulation and best wishes in your new upcoming medical adventures. This is "Afra1" need your help to Guide me regarding step3 approach and schedule also few other questions, I know you will be busy but please let me hear from you when you can, [email protected], Thank you,Afra1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHGqp8lz36c&feature=emb_rel_pause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbna5wJAHDw&feature=emb_rel_pause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el_TBTgn42Y

<div class="player-unavailable"><h1 class="message">An error occurred.</h1><div class="submessage"><a href="" target="_blank">Try watching this video on www.youtube.com</a>, or enable JavaScript if it is disabled in your browser.</div></div><span class="fr-marker" style="display: none; line-height: 0;" data-type="true" data-id="0"></span><span class="fr-marker" style="display: none; line-height: 0;" data-type="false" data-id="0"></span>

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, congrats to all who passed so far! My 2nd day was 12/28/19 and I'm anxiously awaiting my score. I really feel like I could have failed this time, I think I bombed CCS. It was so different.. the software was so slow on exam day. Anyways... I keep refreshing the FSMB website every few minutes to see if there is any change in status from "approved/active" to "expired." Nothing yet. It's been so many days... should I be expecting my score Wednesday?

(double posted, sorry)

Hey everyone, congrats to all who passed so far! My 2nd day was 12/28/19 and I'm anxiously awaiting my score. I really feel like I could have failed this time, I think I bombed CCS. It was so different.. the software was so slow on exam day. Anyways... I keep refreshing the FSMB website every few minutes to see if there is any change in status from "approved/active" to "expired." Nothing yet. It's been so many days... should I be expecting my score Wednesday?

(double posted, sorry)

Hi check here Interactive Website

If your "print permit" link disappeared, then most likely you'll get the results this week.

The status change to expired should happen tomorrow morning.

My score is available now. (Took my day 2 exam on 12/30)

Passed on second attempt but barely literally on the passing score.

Finally, it's time for me to focus on my own specialty.

If anyone has any question, don't hesitate to message me I would be more than happy to help.

Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user

If anyone has any question, don't hesitate to message me I would be more than happy to help.

Good luck to everyone!
Congratulations glad you passed!

Hey everyone,

Img here, trying to apply for Step 3 to hopefully increase my chances for next match season. Would like to know if a CID (Certification of identification) is still needed to apply, even you are ECFMG certified and therefore have already had your identity verified. Thank you

Hey everyone,

Img here, trying to apply for Step 3 to hopefully increase my chances for next match season. Would like to know if a CID (Certification of identification) is still needed to apply, even you are ECFMG certified and therefore have already had your identity verified. Thank you
Yes you still need the CID as it's different company.

Good luck to everyone!
Do you think that uworld is enough for the exam? I'm not practicing in us so not sure if knowledge is enough to pass from with uworld or not.

Hey guys definitely think I bombed step 3 last week. I messed up 4 ccs cases. In one I don't think I completed the treatment so patient just went home "hoping her meds work" and case ended. Had no idea what was going on in another, so patient didn't get better. Forgot treatment for one, so that patient didn't improve despite great workup. And in the last, patient didn't get better despite me giving all the treatments, think I was supposed to intubate but Idk. Multiple choice was pretty tough, not sure how it went. For reference I'm also a US MD, never had trouble with exams before.
Probably did fine. I really felt like the ccs cases would tank my score but it was fine

Took it this past weekend.

Day 1: At least 40% was Step 1 material (~5-6 biostats questions per 40 question block), basic sciences on mechanism of action of different antimicrobials, some histology, even immunology. Either you knew it or you didn't, so I finished early on all blocks.

Day 2: Vagueness in the MCQs similar to Step 2 CK for most of the exam. No more basic sciences or biostats or drug ads. Subtle details on vaccination guidelines, prevention guidelines, best prognosis, worst prognosis (sometimes the answer choices were from the vignette, so no way you can prepare for these questions beforehand). Because of the 50-50 for several choices, a bit harder to finish all blocks with time to spare. CCS about half were 10-minutes and half 20-minutes. The 10-minute cases were tough because of the laggy software, I wasn't able to see the prognosis of my patients! :( Also, for about half the cases I got a negative update before I generally could figure it out, but I never really got positive updates it just went straight to the final 2-minute page (like after a surgery was done). Here's to hoping.

I think we find out March 25th.

Wanted to ask a question regarding the ccs portion. Did you click exit in order to put in your primary diagnosis or did the software prompt you for the primary diagnosis before exiting? And if you didn't have time to click exit does it automatically kick you out without the diagnosis?

Wanted to ask a question regarding the ccs portion. Did you click exit in order to put in your primary diagnosis or did the software prompt you for the primary diagnosis before exiting? And if you didn't have time to click exit does it automatically kick you out without the diagnosis?
There is no such thing (putting a diagnosis) on CCS... I took it last year. Maybe it has changed

Took it in October did not have to enter a diagnosis

So I just finished day 2 today. Someone calm my neurotic mind and tell me: I finished all 13 cases early, and all 13 of my patients were "getting better" or were better. That has to be a really good sign right? Especially since my MCQs were not great.