USMLE Step 3 experience - PGY4 surgery resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maddoc89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I received way too many contradictory advice while studying for Step 3. I took it 3 weeks ago and got my score today.

Step 1 - 241
Step 2 - 256
Step 3 - 244

I studied for 4 weeks. Sources I used were of U world and Step 3 secrets (my preferred since Step 2). I did the CCS cases the night before my Day 2. Both the days were back to back. First 3 weeks I finished the Uworld q bank and last week I read through the step 3 secrets. Its the most I would've have ever studied for this exam.

3 days before my exam I did UWSA (bad assessment) and got 199. The same day I did NBME 4 and got a 225.

Day 1 - I think its mainly theoretical. I didn't think there are as many biostats as it is put out to be. I think people remember them more so than other questions since they're hard. Do the Uworld biostats and there are "biostat cheat sheets" available online which has all the formulas.

I would walk in for the exam, and note down all the formulas on the sheet provided. Day 1 was hard but I went in knowing that only 500 out of 19000 people taking it fail so I was relatively confident.

Day 2 - for me this was a relatively easier day. It was all clinical. Things I encounter most days. CCS was intuitive. I don't think you need any videos. As long as you've been in clinical practice, just think about how you would manage a pt you saw in the ED/office/floor. ABC's and the basics finish the cases the fastest. I was done with all CCS cases within 5-6 mins. No major issues.

You can do a couple Uworld CCS cases in simulated mode, just to familiarize, rest just read through the scoring and timing sheet just so you're aware of the things you need to order that you wouldn't normally. For instance hell if I knew to order a wet mount on vag discharge but hey, thats why I went into surgery.

This advice is for people who have decent fundamental knowledge and are tired of people advising you to do 10 qbanks, 3 textbooks and whatnot. You'll be fine. Please don't take it before residency. Go travel the world and enjoy life.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Step 3 - score.png
    Step 3 - score.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 247
  • Step 3 - peformance profile.png
    Step 3 - peformance profile.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 285
Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

I received way too many contradictory advice while studying for Step 3. I took it 3 weeks ago and got my score today.

Step 1 - 241
Step 2 - 256
Step 3 - 244

I studied for 4 weeks. Sources I used were of U world and Step 3 secrets (my preferred since Step 2). I did the CCS cases the night before my Day 2. Both the days were back to back. First 3 weeks I finished the Uworld q bank and last week I read through the step 3 secrets. Its the most I would've have ever studied for this exam.

3 days before my exam I did UWSA (bad assessment) and got 199. The same day I did NBME 4 and got a 225.

Day 1 - I think its mainly theoretical. I didn't think there are as many biostats as it is put out to be. I think people remember them more so than other questions since they're hard. Do the Uworld biostats and there are "biostat cheat sheets" available online which has all the formulas.

I would walk in for the exam, and note down all the formulas on the sheet provided. Day 1 was hard but I went in knowing that only 500 out of 19000 people taking it fail so I was relatively confident.

Day 2 - for me this was a relatively easier day. It was all clinical. Things I encounter most days. CCS was intuitive. I don't think you need any videos. As long as you've been in clinical practice, just think about how you would manage a pt you saw in the ED/office/floor. ABC's and the basics finish the cases the fastest. I was done with all CCS cases within 5-6 mins. No major issues.

You can do a couple Uworld CCS cases in simulated mode, just to familiarize, rest just read through the scoring and timing sheet just so you're aware of the things you need to order that you wouldn't normally. For instance hell if I knew to order a wet mount on vag discharge but hey, thats why I went into surgery.

This advice is for people who have decent fundamental knowledge and are tired of people advising you to do 10 qbanks, 3 textbooks and whatnot. You'll be fine. Please don't take it before residency. Go travel the world and enjoy life.

Bravo for changing the atmosphere here. I agree. And I would emphasize the “decent”. With similar advice, as a PGY1 psychiatry resident, the test went just as you described above with similar score.

Reactions: 1 user