Step 3 format confusion, please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

citarita

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. After reading the info on the nbme website I am still confused about the Step 3 format. I understand the test is 2 days long. Are all the questions computer based (you don't se actual patients right?), and do they all involve being given a patient case and then the patient does better or worse depending on your diagnosis/plan/treatment etc.. Also when you are entering things in the "ordering area" does the computer software just always know what you're talking about? Thanks again! : )

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. After reading the info on the nbme website I am still confused about the Step 3 format. I understand the test is 2 days long. Are all the questions computer based (you don't se actual patients right?), and do they all involve being given a patient case and then the patient does better or worse depending on your diagnosis/plan/treatment etc.. Also when you are entering things in the "ordering area" does the computer software just always know what you're talking about? Thanks again! : )

I believe your question is several-fold: Yes, the test is two days. Yes, all the questions are computer generated. No, there are no "live" patients. The rest of your questions seems to be about the latter half of the second day -- the CCS cases. The "ordering area" needs a minimum of three or more letters (unless it's something basic like CXR) to interpret what you want to order. The best way to see how the computer responds to your input is to play with the practice CD once you sign up for the exam, or download it from the website directly. It's best to do this with both correct as well as ludicrous responses to see the differences in the way the computer responds. It also responds differently if you do the orders out of sequence. Keep in mind that the computer may try to throw you a curve and try to influence your decision about your treatment plan. You'll understand all this better when you see the CD.

Good luck!

Nu