Step 3 - Illinois licensing??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm finishing up my PGY-1 year and planning to take Step 3 this fall. I'm a resident in Illinois, not sure if I will be staying in the state after I finish residency. According to the FSMB website, it looks like there is some paperwork to fill out to be 'licensed' in Illinois to be eligible to take Step 3 for the Illinois state medical board. But not all states require this. Is there any advantage for me to do the Illinois licensing now if I'm not sure I'm going to stay here? Or would it just be easier to take it via a state that doesn't require licensing? Also, if I do want to do it through Illinois, where the heck do I get that paperwork?? I couldn't find anything on the website. Thanks!!!

Rachana

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to do any moonlighting in IL then you have to go through IL & get your license. The ppwk trail is very confusing on the state's website but do-able. Get the help of your Chief resident/PC/or PD. if you don't want to moonlight there or have no interest in staying in IL then no need to worry about it, although your program may require this of you anyway. I am sure that your senior colleagues can guide you as they have gone through this before. Good luck.

I don't understand why it is required to choose a state when you take step 3. My understand is that you can register step 3 with state A and then get initial license from state B. If state B (IL for example) requires more document than state A (CT for example), I don't understand why people bother to send more document to state B instead of sending just identity page to state A. Some states require license application for sitting in step 3 exam, if you fail step 3, I guess you lose hundreds dollars of license application fee.

It seems that most of IMGs take step 3 with CT before go to residency. I don't think they get licensed first in CT after the residency.

Can anyone explain the advantage of registering step 3 with the state you plan to practice in?