Step 3 & Importance for Fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor10

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering whether anyone can comment on how important it is to get a good score on Step 3 if considering fellowship. I have heard mixed opinions on this.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering whether anyone can comment on how important it is to get a good score on Step 3 if considering fellowship. I have heard mixed opinions on this.

It's not important for AMGs. It is moderately important for IMGs behind almost everything that happens in residency (LORs, how good of a resident you are, research, how you do on the interview). So really, just don't fail it. That's basically it. I'd make sure to study the CCS cases. It's not that these are tricky it is that the same scenarios show up time and time again and the software takes some getting used to.

I hadn't taken step III when I applied to fellowships and no one cared.

Okay awesome, that's good to know that it does not really matter/count that much! Earlier on, I thought you had to take Step III as a PGY1, and never really asked anyone: but why do some people do it intern year while others wait? Just wondering what the thought process is. For IM or peds for example, why wait?

The more residency experience you have under your belt, the questions become more second nature and don't require as much studying. However, that only applies to the questions related to your field. For example, someone in IM may have an easier time with general IM questions, but the longer they are away from med school, the more they've forgotten about OB, peds, and other areas of the exam. So, waiting has it's benefits and drawbacks. A lot of programs do require you pass Step III during PGY1 for that reason. Especially if you are in an advanced specialty that requires a prelim IM/surg year, TY or CBY.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay awesome, that's good to know that it does not really matter/count that much! Earlier on, I thought you had to take Step III as a PGY1, and never really asked anyone: but why do some people do it intern year while others wait? Just wondering what the thought process is. For IM or peds for example, why wait?

Where I did residency, we didn't have time to take it during intern year. By the time I turned around, it was third year. I can tell you that with the exception of the peds/OB stuff, step 3 after a few years of IM was a complete joke.

The more residency experience you have under your belt, the questions become more second nature and don't require as much studying. However, that only applies to the questions related to your field. For example, someone in IM may have an easier time with general IM questions, but the longer they are away from med school, the more they've forgotten about OB, peds, and other areas of the exam. So, waiting has it's benefits and drawbacks. A lot of programs do require you pass Step III during PGY1 for that reason. Especially if you are in an advanced specialty that requires a prelim IM/surg year, TY or CBY.

I'm not really sure there is really any test-taking benefit to waiting. Step 3 has a lot of overlap with Step 2 CK. The longer you are out from taking Step-style tests, the more cumbersome getting in the Step groove and the less automatic your old knowledge comes back. The reason people wait is because they are busy or don't have time, or think they need to study more than they do and can't get off. Early is better.

OP, you need to pass it to get your license; that is Step 3s main/only function.

I'm not really sure there is really any test-taking benefit to waiting. Step 3 has a lot of overlap with Step 2 CK. The longer you are out from taking Step-style tests, the more cumbersome getting in the Step groove and the less automatic your old knowledge comes back. The reason people wait is because they are busy or don't have time, or think they need to study more than they do and can't get off. Early is better.

OP, you need to pass it to get your license; that is Step 3s main/only function.

I have several friends who have went through IM. Those who weren't required to take it early and waited until mostly through PGY-2 or 3 said the majority of the test (CCS included) was a complete joke because it's stuff they've been doing daily for 2-3 years by that point. It's second nature. That being said, waiting will HURT you in other areas that you're not using during training (ie. Psych, OB, Surgery, etc). If you have the time to study for it, the consensus I've gotten is to get it out of the way as early as possible because waiting hurts your other areas more than it will help your IM (assuming you're in IM residency). If you want a fellowship in an IM subspecialty, the score definitely matters. If you're specializing in another field (say anesthesia), your score matters much less.

So now with the new changes to Step 3 being implemented this year: would you recommend taking Step 3 before the changes come into effect by Oct/Nov 2014 (OR) waiting and taking the new one later in intern year due to being in an IM residency and having more knowledge/experience at a later point?

So now with the new changes to Step 3 being implemented this year: would you recommend taking Step 3 before the changes come into effect by Oct/Nov 2014 (OR) waiting and taking the new one later in intern year due to being in an IM residency and having more knowledge/experience at a later point?

You should ALWAYS get it out of the way as early as possible if you have the time to study for it, regardless of what field you're in. The changes are supposedly adding more basic sciences material to the exam. Do you really want to brush up on Step 1 material? If you can take it before the change, do it.

I maintain that step III score doesn't matter much at all for fellowships

It's interesting that there's 'mixed opinions' on this...for years all I'd heard was that nobody cared about step 3, and now suddenly I'm hearing some people say 'no, wait, it matters!'