Step 3 vs Comlex Level 3??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladysmanfelpz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have to schedule my next step exam in intern year. I am a psych resident and they want us to take it the first year. I am a DO and so have the option to take Comlex level 3. So a few questions. Is comlex 3 still one day or two? Which is easier? I mean they just need a pass, and I think like all interns having some hard time getting motivation for studying. So whatever has the lowest bar to pass I think I’ll take. And how will this effect fellowship opportunities? I haven’t decided if I want to do a fellowship yet or not, but from what I‘ve heard they take step 3 very little into account, and my understanding is even less so in Psych. So just wanted to see what you all think before I book a test date. Thanks everybody!

Members don't see this ad.

Just take Level 3. Study for it for your own benefit and then proceed to get the highest board score you have ever seen. I was actually incredulous about mine because it didn't reflect the effort or the feeling I had leaving the test at all.

Have to schedule my next step exam in intern year. I am a psych resident and they want us to take it the first year. I am a DO and so have the option to take Comlex level 3. So a few questions. Is comlex 3 still one day or two? Which is easier? I mean they just need a pass, and I think like all interns having some hard time getting motivation for studying. So whatever has the lowest bar to pass I think I’ll take. And how will this effect fellowship opportunities? I haven’t decided if I want to do a fellowship yet or not, but from what I‘ve heard they take step 3 very little into account, and my understanding is even less so in Psych. So just wanted to see what you all think before I book a test date. Thanks everybody!
If you want the ability to be licensed in all 50 states, then you need to take the COMLEX Level 3. There are a handful of states that require it and do not take Step 3 as a substitute. You need to take Level 3.

If your goal is easiest/lowest bar, then I wouldn't take Step 3. I once asked my PD if I should take Step 3 (after CS was removed as a requirement to take it), just because, and they were like, wait you have an unrestricted license already, why would you do that? Basically took all the wind out of my sails for studying for it. Its pointless. No one cares. I guarantee you that any fellowship program in psych (of which they are all non-competitive) that will take a DO won't care if you've taken Step 3, only Level 3 so that they know you could be licensed.

To add to the above, no one cares about your level 3 score. And unless you are surgery or obgyn, no one cares about your inservice exam scores, with the caveat that some programs want to see an increase from one year to the next. They are formalities. Focus on patient care and being a good physician at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay so sounds like Comlex level 3 it is. What would you say is the best way to study? I know the questions can be quite a bit different than the uWorld medical questions, more legal questions.

Oh and also I have not taken level 2 clinical skills, the standardized patient exam due to Covid. They still have this listed as required for sitting for the exam, but after submitting the request to my PD they approved me. So I'm guessing it is still waived due to Covid policies. Any thoughts?

I saw someone post comquest yesterday, I'm a fan of combank. I think you get the gist. uworld is overkill but if you feel you need or want it, have at it.
Don't know about CS, that was a long time ago for me.

Okay so sounds like Comlex level 3 it is. What would you say is the best way to study? I know the questions can be quite a bit different than the uWorld medical questions, more legal questions.

Oh and also I have not taken level 2 clinical skills, the standardized patient exam due to Covid. They still have this listed as required for sitting for the exam, but after submitting the request to my PD they approved me. So I'm guessing it is still waived due to Covid policies. Any thoughts?
They might get rid of the PE. I honestly wouldn't worry about it unless you're told you need it.

Combank is all you need for level 3. And the green book, just to review the high-yield stuff.

How did you do compared to your comquest %?
Still waiting for the score so I'll update with confirmation but I know the CDM cases went super well due to how it tells you the answer in multistep situations and because the ones that didn't were obvious enough questions/scenarios or easy enough to look up. I feel comfortable saying this based on previous board exam performance. This felt like the dumbest but easiest Comlex by far.

Reactions: 1 users
How did you do compared to your comquest %?
I did about 30% of COMQUEST, most of the CDM cases, and averaged around 67% correct.

My Level 3 score itself was the highest of any board exam.

Doing CDM cases/NBOME tutorial isn't for learning so much as it is understanding what ridiculousness you should expect come test day.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Still waiting for the score so I'll update with confirmation but I know the CDM cases went super well due to how it tells you the answer in multistep situations and because the ones that didn't were obvious enough questions/scenarios or easy enough to look up. I feel comfortable saying this based on previous board exam performance. This felt like the dumbest but easiest Comlex by far.
It absolutely is. Did a total of like 200-300 COMBANK questions, reviewed the NBOME CDM, and scored >100 pts more than any other level.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I did about 30% of COMQUEST, most of the CDM cases, and averaged around 67% correct.

My Level 3 score itself was the highest of any board exam.

Doing CDM cases/NBOME tutorial isn't for learning so much as it is understanding what ridiculousness you should expect come test day.

It absolutely is. Did a total of like 200-300 COMBANK questions, reviewed the NBOME CDM, and scored >100 pts more than any other level.
Aren’t you both FM?

Seems like an exam ripe for your ilk. I’ve purged all things OB, surgery, psych. So, going to have to relearn that crap

Aren’t you both FM?

Seems like an exam ripe for your ilk. I’ve purged all things OB, surgery, psych. So, going to have to relearn that crap
Yeah, we are both FM. But if simpletons like us can do well on it, so can anyone else regardless of content.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Aren’t you both FM?

The exam is mostly IM and FM then like 10-20% peds and 10-20% OB.

Aren’t you both FM?

When I took it I was 2/3 of way through intern year, had yet to have an OB/Surg rotation, and took it at the end of a 70 hr work week in the NICU. Trust us, you'll be fine.

• Care