Step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trent05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone else thinking about taking step 3 b-4 starting in july?

Members don't see this ad.

I would love to...but I heard you can't. Do you know the details?

I think you can if you register to take it in Connecticut...Doesn't mean you necessarily have to take the test in Connecticut though, you are just applying to the Connecticut board of medicine. Most other states have requirements - here we can't even register for it until we have completed 6 months of residency. In other states you just have to have graduated. Some people don't think you can do this whole "apply for the test in connecticut, take it in Louisiana, do your residency in Montana" thing but others disagree. It's the same test, after all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in California and am taking it in April. Requirements vary by state, but the one similarity is that you must have graduated from med school first.
-pdtm

i would so consider taking step 3 before residency....but i need to pass step 2 first.

I hope to take in June, get it over with, and have nothing more to worry about but learning my chosen specialty.

Do you have to take step 3 in the state that you will be doing residency?

geddy said:
Do you have to take step 3 in the state that you will be doing residency?

I highly doubt it, because people transfer residency programs from state to state all the time and they don't have to take step III again. I'm not sure though. This was my confusion - because some people seem to think you do.

AndyMilonakis said:
i would so consider taking step 3 before residency....but i need to pass step 2 first.
Yes, we're all waiting the outcome of your step 2 with eager anticipation. I hope you manage to pass... somehow :rolleyes:

Also, this is one problem with our number one choice, Andy - MA requires residents to have completed one year of residency before they take step III. Here's a website with all the requirements for step III by state.

geddy said:
Yes, we're all waiting the outcome of your step 2 with eager anticipation. I hope you manage to pass... somehow :rolleyes:

Also, this is one problem with our number one choice, Andy - MA requires residents to have completed one year of residency before they take step III. Here's a website with all the requirements for step III by state.

I actually got my score report for step 2 CK this morning. Surprisingly I passed. As expected, my score was lower than step 1. Oh well. I'm happy I passed.

As for step 3, that sucks that we can't take step 3 any sooner. But that is the least of my worries now :laugh:

AndyMilonakis said:
I actually got my score report for step 2 CK this morning. Surprisingly I passed. As expected, my score was lower than step 1. Oh well. I'm happy I passed.

Was it close or were you easily over the passing mark?

yaah said:
Was it close or were you easily over the passing mark?
It was somewhat significantly lower than my step 1 score...that's all I will say :)

AndyMilonakis said:
Congrats - probably good you didn't use the auto-send option, eh? Kudos on using the system to your advantage as much as possible - this Bass is for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
geddy said:
Congrats - probably good you didn't use the auto-send option, eh? Kudos on using the system to your advantage as much as possible - this Bass is for you!
I wonder if I should sent my score to residency programs now...or does it not matter at this point? I wouldn't mind sending it...it was still a pretty decent score. I just didn't approach yaah/geddy status :laugh:

In any case, the one thing that stood in the way of an MD for Andy has been defeated and vanquished.

AndyMilonakis said:
I wonder if I should sent my score to residency programs now...or does it not matter at this point? I wouldn't mind sending it...it was still a pretty decent score. I just didn't approach yaah/geddy status :laugh:
Don't include me with the great one! I'm not worthy... I didn't even know USMLE scores went that high.

As for sending your scores now, I doubt they'd check ERAS anymore. I kept checking ERAS after my step 2 scores were sent, just to see if the 2 programs that didn't give me interviews had checked them. They never did...

geddy said:
Don't include me with the great one! I'm not worthy... I didn't even know USMLE scores went that high.
Wait, you were lying when you said your score was just one point shy of tall Godboy?

AndyMilonakis said:
Wait, you were lying when you said your score was just one point shy of tall Godboy?
Let's say I think I got his step 2 and step 1 scores confused :D

geddy said:
Let's say I think I got his step 2 and step 1 scores confused :D
yes...i believe that his gifts and talents required him to take step 1 blindfolded and with one hand tied behind his back; a feeble attempt to level the playing field...hence they let him take the step 2 in an unrestrained state as any further attempts to stifle his genius would be considered futile.

hmm...let's see...apparently i suck at Preventative Medicine & Health Maintenance. And I suck at immunology, nutrition, musculoskeletal, skin, connective disease...too many things...:laugh:

My step I and II scores were only 4 points different. Andy is perpetuating the myth that they are higher.

yaah said:
My step I and II scores were only 4 points different. Andy is perpetuating the myth that they are higher.
no need to be modest oh great one.

we're not worthy!
we're not worthy!

yaah said:
Well, now I'm thoroughly confused. Not that it matters much anyway, at this point :)

Apparently someone at my school did get a 280 this year, though. Wow - that's obscene.

AndyMilonakis said:
Apparently, we would also have only six attempts to pass step 3. :(
And I may need everyone of them, if I have to wait a year before taking it!

geddy said:
And I may need everyone of them, if I have to wait a year before taking it!
that's what i say! studying for that is gonna be a real bitch :laugh:

yaah said:
I highly doubt it, because people transfer residency programs from state to state all the time and they don't have to take step III again. I'm not sure though. This was my confusion - because some people seem to think you do.

You dont have to be in residency or live in the state that you register for Step 3, nor do you have to go there to take it. I was living in NJ, about to start residency in NY, registered through CT, and took it in CA. Anyone who wants to take it (and I highly recommend taking it as soon as possible) can register in any state that has no requirements other than graduation (ie CT, CA) and take it wherever they want, no matter where they live.

No, its not logical. No, it doesn't make any sense that states have different requirements if you can register in any state no matter where you live. Its probably a remnant of the pre-computer test era. But thats the way it is. When you pass, you pass. When you apply for a license, no state has ever said "Gee, you took Step 3 before we would have let you, so we wont accept it".

You dont have to believe me. Just apply. Its not like the FSMB will cash your check and then say "You're not really eligible, but we're keeping your money anyway"

sohsie said:
You dont have to be in residency or live in the state that you register for Step 3, nor do you have to go there to take it. I was living in NJ, about to start residency in NY, registered through CT, and took it in CA. Anyone who wants to take it (and I highly recommend taking it as soon as possible) can register in any state that has no requirements other than graduation (ie CT, CA) and take it wherever they want, no matter where they live.

No, its not logical. No, it doesn't make any sense that states have different requirements if you can register in any state no matter where you live. Its probably a remnant of the pre-computer test era. But thats the way it is. When you pass, you pass. When you apply for a license, no state has ever said "Gee, you took Step 3 before we would have let you, so we wont accept it".

You dont have to believe me. Just apply. Its not like the FSMB will cash your check and then say "You're not really eligible, but we're keeping your money anyway"

This is excellent to hear. Thanks for sharing. I looked at that table and apparently my home state says I can take it whenever. I just may start studying for it (after match day though...i need a vacation :laugh: ) and go ahead and take sometime in may or june. How long does it take to get your step 3 application processed? And how long before you are given a scheduling permit? Should I get the ball rolling on this now?

I'm looking at the table that geddy linked to in his post...apparently, most or all of the states require that the testtaker have been awarded with an MD or DO degree PRIOR to APPLYING for step 3. How are people getting around this?

AndyMilonakis said:
This is excellent to hear. Thanks for sharing. I looked at that table and apparently my home state says I can take it whenever. I just may start studying for it (after match day though...i need a vacation :laugh: ) and go ahead and take sometime in may or june. How long does it take to get your step 3 application processed? And how long before you are given a scheduling permit? Should I get the ball rolling on this now?

It took about 6 weeks from when I sent my application to when I got my permit. However, I've been told that it comes faster now that you can apply over the web. Once you get the permit, it gives you an immediately starting 3 month window to schedule your test. You can pay $100 for a 3 month extension (which I needed since I got my permit too late to take it before starting residency)

Im not sure you can apply yet. I think you have to graduate first, but Ive been told by others that you can apply before graduation. In the instructions that I had, I had to send in a notarized copy of my diploma, but I think they got rid of that with the web-based application. If there is a state without a graduation requirement, you can always try that state.

This is truly great news. I can't wait to be done with this, before all knowledge of forcep deliveries and the timing of catheterization ebbs away completely.

geddy said:
This is truly great news. I can't wait to be done with this, before all knowledge of forcep deliveries and the timing of catheterization ebbs away completely.
dude, forcep deliveries are soooo yesterday. they do c-sections now man. :laugh:

geddy, are you done med school yet or do they make you do a full 4th year?

seriously, I want my degree now so I can blow another $625 and sign up for this step 3 exam. and I agree with yaah, they should eliminate step 3 or step 2. I could use this $625 in a much better way.

I saw an attempted vaccuum assisted delivery when I was in med school. Basically attached the vaccuum to the kid's head and pulled. Didn't work.

One of my friend's heads is all stretched out. He doesn't resemble his brothers a whole lot.

See what forceps make kids look like?

Attachments

• DrewPirate_BT.highlight.jpg
    DrewPirate_BT.highlight.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 257
I can't remember either. That had an autopsy case that was something like that last week, a 5 year old boy.

yaah said:
I saw an attempted vaccuum assisted delivery when I was in med school. Basically attached the vaccuum to the kid's head and pulled. Didn't work.
Don't the studies show that it's not the forceps or vacuum, it's the experience of the practitioner? :)

Craniosynostosis! Or -syntosis. No wonder I couldn't remember.

deschutes said:
Don't the studies show that it's not the forceps or vacuum, it's the experience of the practitioner? :)

Craniosynostosis! Or -syntosis. No wonder I couldn't remember.

Yeah, I think she wasn't that experienced with it.

I hope step III doesn't focus too much on delivery issues. :oops:

yaah said:
Yeah, I think she wasn't that experienced with it.

I hope step III doesn't focus too much on delivery issues. :oops:
just remember, everyone and i mean EVERYONE gets a digital rectal exam!

godspeed yaah.

AndyMilonakis said:
dude, forcep deliveries are soooo yesterday. they do c-sections now man. :laugh:
Nothing ever seems to be too yesterday for the boards, eh? :)

AndyMilonakis said:
geddy, are you done med school yet or do they make you do a full 4th year?
I had to do a real 4th year, but it wasn't too bad - 2 sub-i, ER, a month of "chronic care patients "(no, this is different from the medicine sub-i) , and 4 electives. I have 2 more months left - autopsy and the "chronic care" month.

so what's the current advice about step III for us path people? I KNOW we need our MD diplomas, but can we fill out and send in forms w/o it? How long does it take to get them back? HELP! :wow:

med2B said:
so what's the current advice about step III for us path people? I KNOW we need our MD diplomas, but can we fill out and send in forms w/o it? How long does it take to get them back? HELP! :wow:
My understanding is that we can sign up for it as soon as we get our MD diploma. Then it should take around 8 weeks for us to get our scheduling permit. This would be the earliest case scenario.

It is hard to schedule though considering that the scheduling window is likely to be 3 months. And we don't know our schedules yet for our PGY-1 year.

****. I still have to finish sending this in. I have my picture taken. All set there. Just have to get the notarized form. **** **** ****.

yaah said:
****. I still have to finish sending this in. I have my picture taken. All set there. Just have to get the notarized form. **** **** ****.
Just go to the UPS store on Main St. just near that parking lot where you would park if you wanted to go to that Full Moon bar.

AndyMilonakis said:
Just go to the UPS store on Main St. just near that parking lot where you would park if you wanted to go to that Full Moon bar.
I somehow think he was referring to the difficulty in getting the form stamped, or some such thing.